The Student Room Group

Reapplying to uni after dropping out in the first semester

I'm currently studying a course that I thought I'd love but have unfortunately grown to hate due to the location of the university (which is very isolating) and the lack of contact hours (which makes my university experience even more isolating). Plus there have been some personal medical issues and family bereavement that I want to take a break for.

If I drop of my current university before any assessments (so I can use my sixth form as my reference) and use the rest of the year as a year out (to get a job and work experience ect.) will I be allowed to still apply for the UCAS 2024 period?
You don’t even need to drop out to reapply. You could stay enrolled whilst the application was underway if you wish.
Reply 2
Original post by Dotdotdot…3
I'm currently studying a course that I thought I'd love but have unfortunately grown to hate due to the location of the university (which is very isolating) and the lack of contact hours (which makes my university experience even more isolating). Plus there have been some personal medical issues and family bereavement that I want to take a break for.

If I drop of my current university before any assessments (so I can use my sixth form as my reference) and use the rest of the year as a year out (to get a job and work experience ect.) will I be allowed to still apply for the UCAS 2024 period?

My daughter is in a similar situation right now, except she has now ended up having emergency surgery which means she's missing 3 weeks plus.

You can start a UCAS application for 2024 right now, even whilst still there. What you need to find out about is who will be your referee.

We have asked her sixth form if they can do this and await a response. I understand Uni can also do this and will be helpful, although they don't know my daughter at all well and she does not have any marks for work done at this point.

I am sure these problems can be overcome and I have friends whose children have withdrawn for valid reasons such as yours. My daughter will reapply to Unis closer to home so she can get back easily and cope with any feelings of isolation.

Keep a copy of all written evidence. Go to wellbeing and get your issues on record. Have them confirm in writing when and why you left. You'll need that letter for student finance when you reapply. Go see your GP when you are home. Get a note saying how low and isolated you have felt. That may help you apply to student finance to keep your plus one year on grounds of Mental health.

Good luck and I'm sure all will work out for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending