The Student Room Group

Panicking about dissertation errors after submission

Hi all. I submitted my Biomedical Science undergrad dissertation last week. I was in such a rush to finish as my supervisor gave me a lot of results to process in the last week. As I'm looking through all of my submission, I'm noticing errors, such as (repeating a sentence in a figure legend, capitalizing the second word in a sentence as well as the first and on one occasion, referring to the wrong figure). I'm really really worried about this in case I will get marked down significantly. I dont want a grade I don't deserve, as I was working 12 hour days for 4 weeks writing it up and processing everything. Has anyone been through a similar situation and can offer advice?
Original post by Gfarquhar08
Hi all. I submitted my Biomedical Science undergrad dissertation last week. I was in such a rush to finish as my supervisor gave me a lot of results to process in the last week. As I'm looking through all of my submission, I'm noticing errors, such as (repeating a sentence in a figure legend, capitalizing the second word in a sentence as well as the first and on one occasion, referring to the wrong figure). I'm really really worried about this in case I will get marked down significantly. I dont want a grade I don't deserve, as I was working 12 hour days for 4 weeks writing it up and processing everything. Has anyone been through a similar situation and can offer advice?

I submitted my thesis for my doctorate last year, so can share your worries. I have always been told, don't look through work post submission but it is always so hard not to. Reference my own I found slight errors like this, but you know what they didnt even notice. My thesis was around 40k words though. What I am trying to say is mistakes like these are very common and as long as it is not systematic examiners are fair/understanding.

If you looked through your thesis and only saw these type of errors, you are very lucky, so well done. Colleagues have noticed missing parts and formatting that would bring you out in a cold sweat.

Lastly, marking/result are nearly always fair, so you will get the result you deserve. Whether you are happy or not is another thing.

Good luck and these are small stuff (errors), try not to sweat the small stuff.

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending