The Student Room Group

Live out in London or stay at home (ucl)?? HELP

I have got an offer from UCL. In short, I dont know whether to stay at home or live in london. I am eligible for max uni bursary/maintanence loan etc..

I want to live out because of independance (parents veey strict and have never let me see friends) and because i dont have a proper studying space at home (room, desk).

I'm hesitant to live out because accomodation prices are £££ and so are living costs. I live like 30 - 40 min away from ucl by car and over 1 hour away by train. Living in will help save so much money.

Any advice is appreciated!!
Original post by Anonymous
I have got an offer from UCL. In short, I dont know whether to stay at home or live in london. I am eligible for max uni bursary/maintanence loan etc..

I want to live out because of independance (parents veey strict and have never let me see friends) and because i dont have a proper studying space at home (room, desk).

I'm hesitant to live out because accomodation prices are £££ and so are living costs. I live like 30 - 40 min away from ucl by car and over 1 hour away by train. Living in will help save so much money.

Any advice is appreciated!!

It obviously heavily depends on what you want as in which would you prefer/feel more comfortable doing. i live in accom at the moment and it makes life so much easier however I understand your concerns with the cost of living crisis and I cannot speak for living at home. but if you're willing to travel for that length of time there and back most days it should be fine and it will also be a lot easier as you will not have togain as much independence. But if you wish to move into accom and are worried about the financial side of things I suggest maybe creating a budget plan, looking for work in the area etc. to see if you would be able to cope. It would definitely make things easier travel wise living in accom.
hi! i'm in exactly the same position as you rn -- i'll be getting max loan and also live about an hour away from ucl.

my current plan is to live in accomodation for first and maybe second year, then move back home and commute for the remainder of my course. i'm hoping this will allow me to get a taste of living independently while also letting me save some money. maybe this is something you could consider?

i completely understand your hesitation; cost of living in london is absolutely ridiculous right now lol. i'd definitely suggest drawing up a list of pros and cons for each option and creating a budget plan, as the poster above suggested.

wishing you the best of luck with everything :smile:
Thanks everyone for the advice. One more thing: my parents are not willing to let me move out at all. Any advice about this?
Original post by munchypoosticks
It obviously heavily depends on what you want as in which would you prefer/feel more comfortable doing. i live in accom at the moment and it makes life so much easier however I understand your concerns with the cost of living crisis and I cannot speak for living at home. but if you're willing to travel for that length of time there and back most days it should be fine and it will also be a lot easier as you will not have togain as much independence. But if you wish to move into accom and are worried about the financial side of things I suggest maybe creating a budget plan, looking for work in the area etc. to see if you would be able to cope. It would definitely make things easier travel wise living in accom.

You mentioned you live in accomodation. If you don't mind, whats your weekly spending like? Specifically groceries and necessaritys. Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending