The Student Room Group

Worth buying a car?

I’m starting uni in September and recently passed my driving test, I wanted a car but I’m not sure if it’s a feasible option, due to insurance etc and being a student.
Anyone in a similar situation? Or have any advice?

Original post by Dentaldreamss
I’m starting uni in September and recently passed my driving test, I wanted a car but I’m not sure if it’s a feasible option, due to insurance etc and being a student.
Anyone in a similar situation? Or have any advice?

Parking in and around unis is usually heavily restricted and many uni accommodation options won't have parking (or if they do it will add a significant cost to your bill). It's usually only worth it if you are on a healthcare course with placements that are hard to get to or at unsociable times of day.
Original post by normaw
Parking in and around unis is usually heavily restricted and many uni accommodation options won't have parking (or if they do it will add a significant cost to your bill). It's usually only worth it if you are on a healthcare course with placements that are hard to get to or at unsociable times of day.

That’s what I was thinking.
I am doing a health care course but the placement is a 3 minute walk! So I probably won’t even need a car.
It’s just to commute home, as I’ll be 4 hours away, so I thought it might be good, because the trains aren’t always reliable.

Thanks
Nah, as above most unis seems to heavily discourage student parking (mine did)

Unless you genuinely WANT a car its hard to see the value for you just now to keep one on the road with tax, mot, insurance, parking wear & tear etc just for the sake of a few 4 hours trips.
Original post by Dentaldreamss
That’s what I was thinking.
I am doing a health care course but the placement is a 3 minute walk! So I probably won’t even need a car.
It’s just to commute home, as I’ll be 4 hours away, so I thought it might be good, because the trains aren’t always reliable.

Thanks

No, you’ll waste so much money on parking and insurance just to make the occasional commute a bit easier. People commute all of the time and there often aren’t problems. Having a problem with a train/late train is no different to being stuck in traffic in a car. Neither thing can be known before the day of the journey.
Original post by KirstinTMH
Neither thing can be known before the day of the journey.

As much as I'm in the no-car camp, over the last year scheduled train strikes have v much been a thing
Original post by KirstinTMH
No, you’ll waste so much money on parking and insurance just to make the occasional commute a bit easier. People commute all of the time and there often aren’t problems. Having a problem with a train/late train is no different to being stuck in traffic in a car. Neither thing can be known before the day of the journey.

Very true.
Thank you, I think i just needed to get some more opinions to rationalise my decision :smile:
Original post by StriderHort
As much as I'm in the no-car camp, over the last year scheduled train strikes have v much been a thing

That’s been my biggest concern
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by StriderHort

You can plan around them. I do that all the time, and they’ve settled for now anyways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending