The Student Room Group

2:1?

Hi I am so nervous and scared heading into my last few weeks of university after Easter as university will finish end of April beginning of May. I would like to know if I’m on target for a 2:1. 25% of my degree is made up of the grades achieved from level 5 (second year) and my 6 best modules were as follows 69,65,65,62,55,42 all 6 modules are 15 credit modules (90 credits). This year I am studying 5 modules 3 of them being 30 credits and if I am correct that’s double the value and worth and 2 being 15 based on averages with the grades achieved I currently am working on 68 in one, 53 in the other 52.5, 40% in a 15 credit module though there’s a report to submit with 60% weightage so I’m optimistic if I gain a 2:1 or a 1st it’ll improve the module overall value and I’m going to have to retake a 15 credit model in deferrals though I won’t be capped for the exam meaning 100 possible marks is still yet available though I could average a 50-55% in that. That’s a total of 120 credits. I am optimistic that I could score highly in 2/3 30 credit modules at 60% or more the other I don’t know yet depending on the outcome of the exam I gave because exams are my area of weakness and does the module where I’m currently working at 40% mean that rules out the possibility of me gaining a 2:1 or first in that overall? Other than that the 3rd 30 credit module I could earn a high fifty possibly a lucky 60 as for the 15 credits I am yet to know.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I am so nervous and scared heading into my last few weeks of university after Easter as university will finish end of April beginning of May. I would like to know if I’m on target for a 2:1. 25% of my degree is made up of the grades achieved from level 5 (second year) and my 6 best modules were as follows 69,65,65,62,55,42 all 6 modules are 15 credit modules (90 credits). This year I am studying 5 modules 3 of them being 30 credits and if I am correct that’s double the value and worth and 2 being 15 based on averages with the grades achieved I currently am working on 68 in one, 53 in the other 52.5, 40% in a 15 credit module though there’s a report to submit with 60% weightage so I’m optimistic if I gain a 2:1 or a 1st it’ll improve the module overall value and I’m going to have to retake a 15 credit model in deferrals though I won’t be capped for the exam meaning 100 possible marks is still yet available though I could average a 50-55% in that. That’s a total of 120 credits. I am optimistic that I could score highly in 2/3 30 credit modules at 60% or more the other I don’t know yet depending on the outcome of the exam I gave because exams are my area of weakness and does the module where I’m currently working at 40% mean that rules out the possibility of me gaining a 2:1 or first in that overall? Other than that the 3rd 30 credit module I could earn a high fifty possibly a lucky 60 as for the 15 credits I am yet to know.

I've read this over and over and I'm utterly confused. Level 5 (second year) is nice and easy. You've averaged just under 60% across you six best modules, which represents 25% of your overall score. It's Level 6 (third year) which is a bit of a mess.

You say, "This year I am studying 5 modules 3 of them being 30 credits and if I am correct that’s double the value and worth and 2 being 15 based on averages with the grades achieved I currently am working on 68 in one, 53 in the other 52.5, 40% in a 15 credit module". I think I've summarised that below:

Module A is worth 30 credits and I'm currently working at 68%.
Module B is worth 30 credits and I'm currently working at 53%.
Module C is worth 30 credits and I'm currently working at 52.5%.
Module D is worth 15 credits and I'm currently working at 40%.

You say, "though there’s a report to submit with 60% weightage so I’m optimistic if I gain a 2:1 or a 1st it’ll improve the module overall value". Is this the same module that you're working at 40% in (which I've called module D), or are you now talking about a different module?

You say "I’m going to have to retake a 15 credit model in deferrals though I won’t be capped for the exam meaning 100 possible marks is still yet available though I could average a 50-55% in that." I'm calling that Module E, which is clearly a 15-credit module.

All the above does comes from single sentence which I had to read over and over again to make any sense of.

Next you say, "I am optimistic that I could score highly in 2/3 30 credit modules at 60% or more" Well, we know you're at 68%, 53% and 52.5% in the three 30-credit modules, right? Which of these is your "60% or more" prediction referring to?

Just when I thought I'd wrapped my head around what you were saying, I read the final sentence: "Other than that the 3rd 30 credit module I could earn a high fifty possibly a lucky 60 as for the 15 credits I am yet to know."

Is there any chance you could provide all this information more clearly? Surely this isn't the way you write reports / essays?

How about writing a single sentence providing all the information about module A, then another single sentence about module B, then another single sentence about module C, etc.? Use five separate paragraphs (one per module) if you prefer.
Original post by DataVenia
I've read this over and over and I'm utterly confused. Level 5 (second year) is nice and easy. You've averaged just under 60% across you six best modules, which represents 25% of your overall score. It's Level 6 (third year) which is a bit of a mess.

You say, "This year I am studying 5 modules 3 of them being 30 credits and if I am correct that’s double the value and worth and 2 being 15 based on averages with the grades achieved I currently am working on 68 in one, 53 in the other 52.5, 40% in a 15 credit module". I think I've summarised that below:

Module A is worth 30 credits and I'm currently working at 68%.
Module B is worth 30 credits and I'm currently working at 53%.
Module C is worth 30 credits and I'm currently working at 52.5%.
Module D is worth 15 credits and I'm currently working at 40%.

You say, "though there’s a report to submit with 60% weightage so I’m optimistic if I gain a 2:1 or a 1st it’ll improve the module overall value". Is this the same module that you're working at 40% in (which I've called module D), or are you now talking about a different module?

You say "I’m going to have to retake a 15 credit model in deferrals though I won’t be capped for the exam meaning 100 possible marks is still yet available though I could average a 50-55% in that." I'm calling that Module E, which is clearly a 15-credit module.

All the above does comes from single sentence which I had to read over and over again to make any sense of.

Next you say, "I am optimistic that I could score highly in 2/3 30 credit modules at 60% or more" Well, we know you're at 68%, 53% and 52.5% in the three 30-credit modules, right? Which of these is your "60% or more" prediction referring to?

Just when I thought I'd wrapped my head around what you were saying, I read the final sentence: "Other than that the 3rd 30 credit module I could earn a high fifty possibly a lucky 60 as for the 15 credits I am yet to know."

Is there any chance you could provide all this information more clearly? Surely this isn't the way you write reports / essays?

How about writing a single sentence providing all the information about module A, then another single sentence about module B, then another single sentence about module C, etc.? Use five separate paragraphs (one per module) if you prefer.

Sorry for the misleading confusion,

A report is due for the module where I currently attain a 40% average so yes module D.

60% or more prediction refers to module A and B and C

Module C as established at 52.5% current average doesn’t necessarily guarantee I’ll end up with 60% or more because I’ve found that module hard.
Sorry for the misleading confusion,

A report is due for the module where I currently attain a 40% average so yes module D.

60% or more prediction refers to module A and B and C

Module C as established at 52.5% current average doesn’t necessarily guarantee I’ll end up with 60% or more because I’ve found that module hard.

OK. Thank you for the clarifications.

You can calculate your third year overall percentage as follow:

(
module A percentage x module A credits
+
module B percentage x module B credits
+
module C percentage x module C credits
+
module D percentage x module D credits
+
module E percentage x module E credits
)
÷ 120

I've plugged-in some numbers below. Obviously you can try other scenarios to see what the impact is.

(
68 x 30
+
53 x 30
+
52.5 x 30
+
40 x 15
+
52.5 x 15
)
÷ 120

= (2040 + 1590 + 1575 + 600 + 787.5) ÷ 120
= 6,592.5 ÷ 120
= 54.9375

You've also said that second year is worth 25% of your overall grade. So, rounding your second year to 60% and your third year to 55% gives us:

(60 x .25) + (55 x .75) = 15 + 41.25 = 56.25

That's clearly not a 2:1. You can just plug in some different module scores to see what you need to get in each to hit 60% and the 2:1 your looking for.
OK. Thank you for the clarifications.

You can calculate your third year overall percentage as follow:

(
module A percentage x module A credits
+
module B percentage x module B credits
+
module C percentage x module C credits
+
module D percentage x module D credits
+
module E percentage x module E credits
)
÷ 120

I've plugged-in some numbers below. Obviously you can try other scenarios to see what the impact is.

(
68 x 30
+
53 x 30
+
52.5 x 30
+
40 x 15
+
52.5 x 15
)
÷ 120

= (2040 + 1590 + 1575 + 600 + 787.5) ÷ 120
= 6,592.5 ÷ 120
= 54.9375

You've also said that second year is worth 25% of your overall grade. So, rounding your second year to 60% and your third year to 55% gives us:

(60 x .25) + (55 x .75) = 15 + 41.25 = 56.25

That's clearly not a 2:1. You can just plug in some different module scores to see what you need to get in each to hit 60% and the 2:1 your looking for.

Is it doable especially if I can score highly for example I end up getting 68% in Module A. 62% in Module B, Module C 58-59%, Module D maybe 60% and then Module E 50-55%.
Is it doable especially if I can score highly for example I end up getting 68% in Module A. 62% in Module B, Module C 58-59%, Module D maybe 60% and then Module E 50-55%.

Plug those numbers into the formula above. If it comes out to 60% or above, then yes - a 2:1 is achievable.
Plug those numbers into the formula above. If it comes out to 60% or above, then yes - a 2:1 is achievable.

I did the formula with those numbers comes with 58.5+15= 73.5 any advice or tips to get the 2:1

I did the formula with those numbers comes with 58.5+15= 73.5 any advice or tips to get the 2:1

You calculator must be broken. :confused:

If you use those new estimates, then your third year percentage would be 61.19 (to 2 decimal places). Combined with your second year percentage (and weighted 25:75) this would give an overall percentage of 60.81. That's a 2:1. :smile:

So in terms of "any advice or tips to get the 2:1", you simply need to hit the scores which you've predicted above. And replace that calculator. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending