The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Discover Bath 2023

Bath sent out acceptances to its Discover Bath Summer 2023 Programme today, who else got an offer?

I got in for Economics

Scroll to see replies

Try posting on the A level forum?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Enzic
Bath sent out acceptances to its Discover Bath Summer 2023 Programme today, who else got an offer?

I got in for Economics

Yes! I got into the Chemistry course
Original post by Enzic

I got in for Economics

I got in for computer science.
Reply 4
Hi, did anyone get any confirmation email after accepting the offer?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, did anyone get any confirmation email after accepting the offer?

Nah, I emailed them and they said “we will get back to you by the end of may.”
Reply 6
Original post by Rainyzack
I got in for computer science.

Got in for Chemistry!
Reply 7
Original post by tianaa777
Yes! I got into the Chemistry course

Me too!!
Reply 8
My son got in for chemistry as well. Hope they give more details soon as would like to see start and end times to book travel arrangements.
I found last year's FAQ and seemed to start around lunchtime on the first day and end 12.30 on last day.
Reply 9
Original post by Welcome99
My son got in for chemistry as well. Hope they give more details soon as would like to see start and end times to book travel arrangements.
I found last year's FAQ and seemed to start around lunchtime on the first day and end 12.30 on last day.

They sent me an email with more information today.
Hello everyone,

Many congratulations to all of you on here on receiving your places on Discover Bath 2023! This is a competitive programme and lots of people apply each year for the number of spaces available, so great job!

You may well have already seen this page or received your further information emails by now, but it contains a list of each subject stream and their dates, and below each there's a link to click for more information - and if at any point before the residential stay you need any more info which perhaps is not on the webpage then please do email [email protected]; they'll be more than happy to take more specific questions and get back to as soon as they can.

Just thought I'd take this opportunity as a former Bath student who did a programme very similar to Discover before eventually deciding to apply here, to share a couple of quick top-tips for the residential stay based on my experience:

1. Make the most of the student ambassadors! These are all current Bath students - they will be there to greet you at the train/bus stations, welcome you when you arrive on campus and will be there supporting your sessions and staying in halls with you throughout Discover. They are all super-friendly and are more than happy to answer as many questions as you like. I'd really encourage you to chat to them and use Discover as an opportunity to find out as much as you want to and get any questions you have answered not necessarily only about Bath, but studying at university in general, what student life is like, their experience of a particular course etc. When I first came to my summer school I was very apprehensive and was seriously questioning whether university was for me however I felt very reassured after talking with the ambassadors. Remember, they were exactly where you folks were a few years ago facing the same decision, so use their wisdom!

2. Don’t feel like you are tied to your subject stream. Just because you have been accepted for Discover for one subject, don’t feel like you are tied to that area in future. When I did my summer school I was on a science stream, but decided in the end to apply for Psychology. Its really not what subject you do in Discover that stands out, it’s what you’ve learnt, achieved and taken from it. The student ambassadors will be from various different courses, so talking to a good few of them is a great way to compare the different areas you might be interested in.

3. Bring cookies! Probably not quite as important as the other two points 😊, but nevertheless, turning up with a bag of cookies or equivalent to the halls which will be your home for Discover is a great way to break the ice with your temporary flatmates (if you wish, take a look at this page for 360 degree views of all Bath’s accommodation to check out where you might be staying!) Baked goods can be a really nice conversation starter what begins with cookies could end up with you finding out about each other’s interests, where you come from, what you are doing for A levels etc. For me, it definitely broke the initial nervousness we all felt.

Coming to a summer school was personally what made me want to apply to Bath living here and being here just ‘felt right’. I am confident coming to Discover will not only be really enjoyable, but will give you a real sense of whether Bath, and university in general, is ‘right’ for you. If you do decide to give university a go, this will give you some fab experience to talk about in a personal statement wherever you choose to apply 😊

I hope you found some of the above helpful, please feel free to post any questions you have on here!

Holly
University of Bath
Reply 11
got in for sociology!
Original post by faithstory
got in for sociology!

Hello Faithstory!

That's great to hear - congrats! We actually have a blog post by a current Bath student who attended a Social Sciences summer school a few years back here where she talks about her personal highlights from the stay :smile:.

One thing I did not mention in my last post above, is that if possible I'd encourage you to make the most of the opportunity to visit Bath City. In previous years, a trip to town is included in one of the days of the summer school, but if it is not then I would recommend visiting before or after your stay. There is a really nice and varied stretch of shops and coffee shops on Southgate Street just opposite the bus station, and a little further on you can find Royal Victoria Park which is a gorgeous green space, ideal for a picnic in summer and completely free to visit. You can find out a little more about the kinds of things available to do in Bath here.

Best of luck with everything in the meantime - remember to please post any questions you have on here :smile:

Holly
University of Bath
Reply 13
Original post by Enzic

I got in for Economics

me too!
Reply 14
Original post by Enzic

I got in for Economics

hi, i got it for sociology! are you going from the 7th-10th?? i'm so confused bc they haven't sent any further details yet
Reply 15
Original post by faithstory
got in for sociology!

omg same !! i was hoping to make friends w people before i go, do you have any social media, would love to know you ! <3
Reply 16
Original post by University of Bath
Hello everyone,

Many congratulations to all of you on here on receiving your places on Discover Bath 2023! This is a competitive programme and lots of people apply each year for the number of spaces available, so great job!

You may well have already seen this page or received your further information emails by now, but it contains a list of each subject stream and their dates, and below each there's a link to click for more information - and if at any point before the residential stay you need any more info which perhaps is not on the webpage then please do email [email protected]; they'll be more than happy to take more specific questions and get back to as soon as they can.

Just thought I'd take this opportunity as a former Bath student who did a programme very similar to Discover before eventually deciding to apply here, to share a couple of quick top-tips for the residential stay based on my experience:

1. Make the most of the student ambassadors! These are all current Bath students - they will be there to greet you at the train/bus stations, welcome you when you arrive on campus and will be there supporting your sessions and staying in halls with you throughout Discover. They are all super-friendly and are more than happy to answer as many questions as you like. I'd really encourage you to chat to them and use Discover as an opportunity to find out as much as you want to and get any questions you have answered not necessarily only about Bath, but studying at university in general, what student life is like, their experience of a particular course etc. When I first came to my summer school I was very apprehensive and was seriously questioning whether university was for me however I felt very reassured after talking with the ambassadors. Remember, they were exactly where you folks were a few years ago facing the same decision, so use their wisdom!

2. Don’t feel like you are tied to your subject stream. Just because you have been accepted for Discover for one subject, don’t feel like you are tied to that area in future. When I did my summer school I was on a science stream, but decided in the end to apply for Psychology. Its really not what subject you do in Discover that stands out, it’s what you’ve learnt, achieved and taken from it. The student ambassadors will be from various different courses, so talking to a good few of them is a great way to compare the different areas you might be interested in.

3. Bring cookies! Probably not quite as important as the other two points 😊, but nevertheless, turning up with a bag of cookies or equivalent to the halls which will be your home for Discover is a great way to break the ice with your temporary flatmates (if you wish, take a look at this page for 360 degree views of all Bath’s accommodation to check out where you might be staying!) Baked goods can be a really nice conversation starter what begins with cookies could end up with you finding out about each other’s interests, where you come from, what you are doing for A levels etc. For me, it definitely broke the initial nervousness we all felt.

Coming to a summer school was personally what made me want to apply to Bath living here and being here just ‘felt right’. I am confident coming to Discover will not only be really enjoyable, but will give you a real sense of whether Bath, and university in general, is ‘right’ for you. If you do decide to give university a go, this will give you some fab experience to talk about in a personal statement wherever you choose to apply 😊

I hope you found some of the above helpful, please feel free to post any questions you have on here!

Holly
University of Bath

thank you sm for this !! i got in for sociology. i was wondering when they were going to send further details of the programme bc i'm excited and i just need to know more !
Original post by amel.z0
hi, i got it for sociology! are you going from the 7th-10th?? i'm so confused bc they haven't sent any further details yet

Hi! They said they would send it at the end of the month but all I have rn is the travel form. Do u have any social media so we can talk more so im not completely alone 😭😭x
Reply 18
My son was accepted on chemistry program and it starts on 31 July. Just has travel info as well.
Reply 19
There is a detailed description of someone's experiences of another Bath residential - Target Bath - here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7314564&page=2 Message 29. Reassuring!

Quick Reply

Latest