The Student Room Group

Is it possible to self teach AS further maths during the summer holidays

I regret not taking FM at the start of the year due to realising the top unis for comp sci really need FM, so I have 2 options, learning AS over the summer and join the school's year 13 class, or take a gap year to learn the whole a level.

I could start learning as soon as the mocks end which will give 10 weeks until september, which I will prob then take the equivalent of the end of year 12 exams to see if i can join the class.

More info: I'll prob get A*A*A* or A*A*A in maths, comp sci and physics for my predicted grade exams, my school is doing FS1 and FM1 for the options, as I take physics the mechanics part shouldn't be too bad and there are tons of online resources (DrFrost, TLMaths, Bicenmaths, PMT, FM videos etc) and I already have the edexcel FM textbooks.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by AcademicWeaponFR
I regret not taking FM at the start of the year due to realising the top unis for comp sci really need FM, so I have 2 options, learning AS over the summer and join the school's year 13 class, or take a gap year to learn the whole a level.
More info: I'll prob get A*A*A* or A*A*A in maths, comp sci and physics for my predicted grade exams, my school is doing FS1 and FM1 for the options, as I take physics the mechanics part shouldn't be too bad and there are tons of online resources, and I already have the edexcel FM textbooks.

I think you could learn AS FM over the summer, as long as you're diligent.

Resources like https://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/ would help you with the learning.

I wouldn't waste a whole year just for FM, I'd rather get the AS done with if I were you.
Original post by justlearning1469
I think you could learn AS FM over the summer, as long as you're diligent.

Resources like https://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/ would help you with the learning.

I wouldn't waste a whole year just for FM, I'd rather get the AS done with if I were you.

I'll definitely speak to my teachers about this, I am willing to be putting in 5+ hours a day for this, because even 3A*s for the top unis will pretty much be obsolete without FM.
I'll definitely speak to my teachers about this, I am willing to be putting in 5+ hours a day for this, because even 3A*s for the top unis will pretty much be obsolete without FM.

Good luck with it!

P.S. 5+ hours a day might be a bit much, you also need to rest and do other things. If you wish to do so, maybe have a few days of relative rest (doing less than 5 hrs) so you don't burn out.

As long as your A-level stuff is solid, it won't take you 5+ hours a day. Trust me, it won't take that long.
Good luck with it!

P.S. 5+ hours a day might be a bit much, you also need to rest and do other things. If you wish to do so, maybe have a few days of relative rest (doing less than 5 hrs) so you don't burn out.

As long as your A-level stuff is solid, it won't take you 5+ hours a day. Trust me, it won't take that long.

Thanks, I know 5 hours might be a bit overkill but I am aiming for the top grades for the top unis, and I will make sure to rest / revise other my other subjects so I don't get bored
Possible, yes; probable - hard to say but less so I would suggest.

Definitely something to discuss with your teachers, particularly if you were aiming to join the year 13 class anyway. They can help give you realistic advice as to whether you are likely to succeed or benefit from doing so, and if so they can potentially provide you materials to support your learning over the summer (and perhaps even starting from now).
Original post by artful_lounger
Possible, yes; probable - hard to say but less so I would suggest.

Definitely something to discuss with your teachers, particularly if you were aiming to join the year 13 class anyway. They can help give you realistic advice as to whether you are likely to succeed or benefit from doing so, and if so they can potentially provide you materials to support your learning over the summer (and perhaps even starting from now).

Yeah I'll talk to my teachers, but I think after I get my predicted grades for proof I am capable of it and won't waste my time, plus I got the predicted exams to focus on anyway, so i'll rather not start learning a new subject during exam time.

But maybe I should talk to them now and join after the easter holidays? I don't think my current grades are convincing enough + tryna catch up and revise for my exams in 2 months would be too much.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks, I know 5 hours might be a bit overkill but I am aiming for the top grades for the top unis, and I will make sure to rest / revise other my other subjects so I don't get bored

I'm revising for my A-levels now, and even now, haven't really used 5 hours for studying in a day for a long time. Not unless I hyperfocus (or it's a special interest) and if there's a lot of time pressure, and even then... it's not maintainable for long.
I'm revising for my A-levels now, and even now, haven't really used 5 hours for studying in a day for a long time. Not unless I hyperfocus (or it's a special interest) and if there's a lot of time pressure, and even then... it's not maintainable for long.

That's for revising, but I need to LEARN the whole year 12 FM, so I need to be doing the teaching hours (around 160, which is 2h and 20 min a day) at least, then actually revising what I've learnt, plus I have EPQ work + physics revision. So it is doable, but I'll just be having to spend a lot of time working. It's either work hard for a summer, and join the YR13 class or take a gap year and have a huge delay to uni, while self-teaching the year 13 part which will be a lot more complicated
That's for revising, but I need to LEARN the whole year 12 FM, so I need to be doing the teaching hours (around 160, which is 2h and 20 min a day) at least, then actually revising what I've learnt, plus I have EPQ work + physics revision. So it is doable, but I'll just be having to spend a lot of time working. It's either work hard for a summer, and join the YR13 class or take a gap year and have a huge delay to uni, while self-teaching the year 13 part which will be a lot more complicated

In that case... work hard
In that case... work hard

That's exactly what im gonna do lol
Yeah I'll talk to my teachers, but I think after I get my predicted grades for proof I am capable of it and won't waste my time, plus I got the predicted exams to focus on anyway, so i'll rather not start learning a new subject during exam time.

But maybe I should talk to them now and join after the easter holidays? I don't think my current grades are convincing enough + tryna catch up and revise for my exams in 2 months would be too much.

I think at least getting started on the course sooner rather than later (i.e. you may want to start studying from the start of FM content now and just continue on - and talking to your teachers sooner about that so they can possibly advise you on what to start with and any useful resources would be a good idea!) is a good idea, even if that's not necessarily formally joining lessons yet.
I think at least getting started on the course sooner rather than later (i.e. you may want to start studying from the start of FM content now and just continue on - and talking to your teachers sooner about that so they can possibly advise you on what to start with and any useful resources would be a good idea!) is a good idea, even if that's not necessarily formally joining lessons yet.

The thing is, I took FM for like a month at the start of year 12 then I stupidly decided to drop it, so it's kinda awkward. Also I got my mocks in a few months and I really can't afford anything less than A*A*A if I'm aiming for Cambridge, also I kinda need proof that I am capable of catching up to FM. As soon as the mocks end I have 10 weeks until September which I think is plenty of time to catch up, especially when most people wont really be doing work in the summer, also I'm actually doing better at normal maths then some of the people in the FM class.

Anyways, I do have at least the easter holidays to think about it but would like more opinions from other people
The thing is, I took FM for like a month at the start of year 12 then I stupidly decided to drop it, so it's kinda awkward. Also I got my mocks in a few months and I really can't afford anything less than A*A*A if I'm aiming for Cambridge, also I kinda need proof that I am capable of catching up to FM. As soon as the mocks end I have 10 weeks until September which I think is plenty of time to catch up, especially when most people wont really be doing work in the summer, also I'm actually doing better at normal maths then some of the people in the FM class.

Anyways, I do have at least the easter holidays to think about it but would like more opinions from other people

Why did you choose to drop it? You might want to consider that if it's because you found it too hard/didn't enjoy it/etc, that may reflect on the kinds of courses that require it - no point "forcing" yourself through it just to get onto a course which is more of the same stuff you were forcing yourself to get done in the first place!

I could start learning as soon as the mocks end which will give 10 weeks until september, which I will prob then take the equivalent of the end of year 12 exams to see if i can join the class.

More info: I'll prob get A*A*A* or A*A*A in maths, comp sci and physics for my predicted grade exams, my school is doing FS1 and FM1 for the options, as I take physics the mechanics part shouldn't be too bad and there are tons of online resources (DrFrost, TLMaths, Bicenmaths, PMT, FM videos etc) and I already have the edexcel FM textbooks.

Heya!
I would recommend talking to your teachers first and seeing what is possible :h: They will give you realistic advice on let you know what is possible. Please be careful with the amount of work you have to do, don't overwork yourself! If it helps, Study Mind also has free FM resources!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study mind
Why did you choose to drop it? You might want to consider that if it's because you found it too hard/didn't enjoy it/etc, that may reflect on the kinds of courses that require it - no point "forcing" yourself through it just to get onto a course which is more of the same stuff you were forcing yourself to get done in the first place!

I dropped it because I thought I couldn’t handle it, and especially you could only have taken it for your 4th a level. But that was at the start of year, now i’ve been putting in a lot more hours and I’ve been finding Maths and Computer Science relatively easy, I love Maths and wish the course was a bit more challenging, so that’s why I want to do FM now, and all the top Unis need it
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would recommend talking to your teachers first and seeing what is possible :h: They will give you realistic advice on let you know what is possible. Please be careful with the amount of work you have to do, don't overwork yourself! If it helps, Study Mind also has free FM resources!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study mind

Yes I know not to do too much work, thanks for the advice I’ll talk to my teachers and check out your website.
Yes I know not to do too much work, thanks for the advice I’ll talk to my teachers and check out your website.

As well as the above stuff, for cambridge cs the extracurriculum stuff
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions.pdf
is important as is tmua (Oct)
https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/test-of-mathematics-for-university-admission/
which I think is the last one this year. So just fitting in FM is not the only thing to do over the summer. Good luck.
I dropped it because I thought I couldn’t handle it, and especially you could only have taken it for your 4th a level. But that was at the start of year, now i’ve been putting in a lot more hours and I’ve been finding Maths and Computer Science relatively easy, I love Maths and wish the course was a bit more challenging, so that’s why I want to do FM now, and all the top Unis need it

Perhaps look at the option of doing just AS FM - you cover some of the more important topics in just the AS anyway (namely matrics and complex numbers - the former very important for CS) and usually that will at least give those unis an indication of your ability to cope with higher level maths. It would be more realistic a goal in terms of convincing your school/teachers to let you do it as well I think.

If you are then unsuccessful in applying you could do the rest of it and take the full A-level exams in a gap year anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest