The Student Room Group

Comparing two med schools

Hi, if I have to compare two med schools, what are the factors I should be considering besides ranking or city? Eg, clinical placements, or support- but that kind of info is not on their websites.
The way they teach.
Reply 2
Original post by Dnsnnssn
The way they teach.

You mean CBL or PBL? If that is same in both colleges, what next factor? Been told to find info about clinical placements but not sure where to find them!
If you have an offer perhaps you can email the particular med schools?
Reply 4
The way they teach.

You mean CBL or PBL? If that is same in both colleges, what next factor? Been told to find info about clinical placements but not sure where to find them!

If you have an offer perhaps you can email the particular med schools?

Any insight into what details should I be looking for?
Original post by Rockstar13
Any insight into what details should I be looking for?

you could find people online who attend those med schools and ask for their opinion. I think ucas has a section where you can talk to current students on specific courses and unis. also make a list of what kind of learning experience you want to have, in terms of dissection, lectures, clinical placements and others. a learning style you enjoy or think you will do well in will set you up but I wouldnt worry too much, all courses are GMC accredited and will provide a good medical education. maybe you could look at the student life aspect, the finances and what the unis are like. I suggest going to any open days if you can, this will give you a vibe which you can’t get by looking at their website as much.
Original post by med.33333
you could find people online who attend those med schools and ask for their opinion. I think ucas has a section where you can talk to current students on specific courses and unis. also make a list of what kind of learning experience you want to have, in terms of dissection, lectures, clinical placements and others. a learning style you enjoy or think you will do well in will set you up but I wouldnt worry too much, all courses are GMC accredited and will provide a good medical education. maybe you could look at the student life aspect, the finances and what the unis are like. I suggest going to any open days if you can, this will give you a vibe which you can’t get by looking at their website as much.

and also think about where you would genuinely be happy. none of these quirks or advantages of these unis will be useful if you don’t feel happy there, it’s the most important factor. good luck!
Original post by Rockstar13
Hi, if I have to compare two med schools, what are the factors I should be considering besides ranking or city? Eg, clinical placements, or support- but that kind of info is not on their websites.

You've mentioned rank and city. I can say now that myself and other's included (@GANFYD can attest to this?) don't think rank is important (unless perhaps to a certain extent if you're international). Every med school has the necessary resources and is regulated by the GMC therefore provides the same standard of teaching and you end up with the same medicine degree at the end of 4/5/6 years. The city could however be something to consider as you say, it's dependent on the individual and whether you want to live in a loud or quiet place.

The way they teach should also be important, whether that be integrated, PBL, CBL, spiral, traditional or another variety altogether. Different people work well with different strategies so it's important to consider which one you prefer. Another thing to consider is whether both universities are disection or prosection - it matters to some as they are different approaches to anatomy and some prefer the 'hands on' approach more.

Additionally if clinical placements and support is not available on websites, either email in and ask or go to their offer holder days (or open days). You'll be able to speak to current medical students as well as staff about the curriculum and any other queries you may have while getting a feel for the university and city in general.
Reply 8
Original post by medic0975
You've mentioned rank and city. I can say now that myself and other's included (@GANFYD can attest to this?) don't think rank is important (unless perhaps to a certain extent if you're international). Every med school has the necessary resources and is regulated by the GMC therefore provides the same standard of teaching and you end up with the same medicine degree at the end of 4/5/6 years. The city could however be something to consider as you say, it's dependent on the individual and whether you want to live in a loud or quiet place.

The way they teach should also be important, whether that be integrated, PBL, CBL, spiral, traditional or another variety altogether. Different people work well with different strategies so it's important to consider which one you prefer. Another thing to consider is whether both universities are disection or prosection - it matters to some as they are different approaches to anatomy and some prefer the 'hands on' approach more.

Additionally if clinical placements and support is not available on websites, either email in and ask or go to their offer holder days (or open days). You'll be able to speak to current medical students as well as staff about the curriculum and any other queries you may have while getting a feel for the university and city in general.

PRSOM (again)
Original post by GANFYD
PRSOM (again)

:hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending