The Student Room Group

Can someone please shorten my answer? ⬇️

Shakespeare presents desperation through the character of Juliet, in this play. Her desperation can be seen targeted towards the patriarchy that wholly dominates her life, which causes her to rebel against the system and it's traditions. One way in which her rebellion is illustrated is through her refusal to marry her arranged suitor. This is a scandalous move by Juliet as women would have been believed to be the property of men, in those times. A women would have been ‘passed on’ from her father to her husband through the ceremony of marriage - thus, by Juliet choosing not to marry Paris, she chooses her own ownership outside of the system of patriarchy. However, this refusal holds consequences for Juliet, as her father (the figment of the patriarchy) can’t stand for his traditional male values to be questioned by his female daughter. Lord Capulet’s threats and insults against his daughter - “Hang! Beg! Die in the streets! For by my soul I’ll never acknowledge thee.” - are representative of the shame that it carried for women to defy the patriarchal power. Consequently, out of desperation to escape the oppressive patriarchal system of society, Juliet takes her own life - her one last form of rebellion against that which has controlled her for so long.
Shakespeare presents desperation through Juliet's character, in this play. Her desperation is targeted towards the patriarchy wholly dominating her life, causing her to rebel against the system and it's traditions. One way in which her rebellion is illustrated is through her refusal to marry her arranged suitor. This was a scandalous move by Juliet as women were believed to be the property of men. A women was ‘passed on’ from her father to her husband through marriage - thus, by refusing to marry Paris, Juliet chose her own ownership outside of the patriarchy. However, this refusal held consequences for Juliet, as her father (the figment of the patriarchy) couldn't stand his traditional male values being questioned by his daughter. Lord Capulet’s threats and insults against his daughter - “Hang! Beg! Die in the streets! For by my soul I’ll never acknowledge thee.” - represent the shame that it carried for women to defy the patriarchal power. Consequently, out of desperation to escape the oppressive patriarchy within society, Juliet took her own life - her last form of rebellion against what controlled her for so long.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending