The Student Room Group

Stuck with Assignments

Anyone stuck with their assignments here? We can have a discussion on how to go about it...
Hey there,

Assignments can be really tricky. And sometimes it can be hard to find the motivation to get them done in advance of the deadline!

Things that I find really help is purchasing a calendar/planner and stick it above where you study, and always write in your deadlines a week or two ahead (depending on the amount of work needed!). This way even if you're struggling with motivating yourself to get the assignment done, you'll see the date and hopefully it'll encourage you to get started (like a bit of pressure!). It's even better if you forget when the actual due date it, get it done and then realise you have a bit of time before the deadline to go over and proof read :smile:

A good assignment usually requires a few hours of hard work. I find it helps to break your assignments into little tasks so it feels easier to put those hours in. E.g., for an essay I would do an hour of research for references etc. 3 times one week, then the next week spend 1 hour developing my essay plan twice a week (linking any references you found to points you can make), then a hour a day writing the essay up, aiming for (if it's 2000 words) 400 words a day. I find this takes the weight of a tricky assignment off your shoulders and it can easily fit around your timetable - this example doesn't seem like much work but it's 10 hours so you actually end up putting a lot of time into it!

P.S always proof read, it can be useful to get a non-student to proof read too to check it makes sense :smile:

I hope this helps,

Lauren -Official Student Rep
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey there,

Assignments can be really tricky. And sometimes it can be hard to find the motivation to get them done in advance of the deadline!

Things that I find really help is purchasing a calendar/planner and stick it above where you study, and always write in your deadlines a week or two ahead (depending on the amount of work needed!). This way even if you're struggling with motivating yourself to get the assignment done, you'll see the date and hopefully it'll encourage you to get started (like a bit of pressure!). It's even better if you forget when the actual due date it, get it done and then realise you have a bit of time before the deadline to go over and proof read :smile:

A good assignment usually requires a few hours of hard work. I find it helps to break your assignments into little tasks so it feels easier to put those hours in. E.g., for an essay I would do an hour of research for references etc. 3 times one week, then the next week spend 1 hour developing my essay plan twice a week (linking any references you found to points you can make), then a hour a day writing the essay up, aiming for (if it's 2000 words) 400 words a day. I find this takes the weight of a tricky assignment off your shoulders and it can easily fit around your timetable - this example doesn't seem like much work but it's 10 hours so you actually end up putting a lot of time into it!

P.S always proof read, it can be useful to get a non-student to proof read too to check it makes sense :smile:

I hope this helps,

Lauren -Official Student Rep

Thanks Lauren. This really helps. I agree with you that planning for your assignments and tackling them way before the actual deadline takes the weight off your shoulders. However, can we discuss what really happens with students? Like why is it always tempting to postpone an assignment until the very last day? Why the procrastination haha
Original post by Tutornatalie
Thanks Lauren. This really helps. I agree with you that planning for your assignments and tackling them way before the actual deadline takes the weight off your shoulders. However, can we discuss what really happens with students? Like why is it always tempting to postpone an assignment until the very last day? Why the procrastination haha

Hello,

There are multiple reasons why a student would procrastinate, one of them could be juggling multiple priorities. A lack of motivation could also be another major factor. To help with motivation, I have always found it useful to set goals for what I would like to achieve, this could be a high grade target, or even the desire to learn something new as you work on the assignment. To help with time management, it is useful to make a note of all your assignment deadlines at the beginning of the semester, and create a timetable for revision/working on assignments for each module for the whole semester. This way you will have a plan, and will be encouraged to stick to it.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending