The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

If studying full time with open uni (2 modules a year) Do I study them at same time?

Do i study the two modules at the same time?

Or should I still work through module one first, then move to the next module when ive finished?

The only reason i ask this question is because on their website it says "if studying full time, make sure you have enough time to study two modules at the same time"
They are studied at the same time. You will notice, once you have registered, that they both have the same start date. Generally speaking, faculties to try to avoid clashes when it comes to assignment deadlines, but it is still up to you how you manage your time. The OU is all about self-discipline and time management!

I for one always prefer studying more than one module. It provides a bit of variety, and if I am stuck on one thing, I can put that aside for a while and continue working on the other module for a bit. The change in gear often helps to get me unstuck :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Veet Voojagig
They are studied at the same time. You will notice, once you have registered, that they both have the same start date. Generally speaking, faculties to try to avoid clashes when it comes to assignment deadlines, but it is still up to you how you manage your time. The OU is all about self-discipline and time management!

I for one always prefer studying more than one module. It provides a bit of variety, and if I am stuck on one thing, I can put that aside for a while and continue working on the other module for a bit. The change in gear often helps to get me unstuck :smile:

I know they have the same start date, but what i meant was; does it mean i open up both modules at the same time and crack on with both? Juggling two contents at once?

I understand OU is about discipline and time management, but i was just abit confused if i should get through ONE module first, for example could i do module one from OCT to FEB. And then start second module from FEB to JUNE etc... or does it not work like that?
Original post by Ashleylaw
I know they have the same start date, but what i meant was; does it mean i open up both modules at the same time and crack on with both? Juggling two contents at once?

I understand OU is about discipline and time management, but i was just abit confused if i should get through ONE module first, for example could i do module one from OCT to FEB. And then start second module from FEB to JUNE etc... or does it not work like that?

It doesn't work like that, both modules with have assignment deadlines spread out throughout the academic year. so working on only one module will hurt your grade for the other module.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It doesn't work like that, both modules with have assignment deadlines spread out throughout the academic year. so working on only one module will hurt your grade for the other module.

Ah ok makes sense. So that's why we have to study both modules at the same time. I think i understand now.

Im assuming we only study a certain amount of each module (for whatever is necessary for the assignments)

And then once them assignments are finish, we continue studying towards the next assignments etc..
Original post by Ashleylaw
Ah ok makes sense. So that's why we have to study both modules at the same time. I think i understand now.

Im assuming we only study a certain amount of each module (for whatever is necessary for the assignments)

And then once them assignments are finish, we continue studying towards the next assignments etc..

If either module has a start date later in the year, you can defer your start date for that module. Only downside of doing that though is you'll be studying straight into the next academic year with no break which can be exhausting.

The recommended hours for full-time are 32-36 hours and your time should be spent equally between the two modules, you'll have access to assignment deadlines after enrolling on both modules which can help you plan your time.

"And then once them assignments are finish, we continue studying towards the next assignments etc.." Yes, some modules have exams at the end once all assignments are completed. I'm not sure what modules you're studying but you can check the module descriptions on the website if you're unsure.
Reply 6
Yep, you need to juggle them. Deadlines can and will clash and it's up to you to manage your time and keep on top of it. Each module's website acts as a handy interactive calendar, which helps- you can check what material you should have covered by when, check off each part as you complete it, etc. Just count yourself lucky you have 2x60 credit modules rather than 4x30!

There are a handful of exceptions (TM111 and 112 are studied sequentially for example, and sometimes staggered starts are possible).
Original post by pmd_qwe
Yep, you need to juggle them. Deadlines can and will clash and it's up to you to manage your time and keep on top of it. Each module's website acts as a handy interactive calendar, which helps- you can check what material you should have covered by when, check off each part as you complete it, etc. Just count yourself lucky you have 2x60 credit modules rather than 4x30!

There are a handful of exceptions (TM111 and 112 are studied sequentially for example, and sometimes staggered starts are possible).

Just wondering did you study Computing at OU? If you didn't just ignore this post.
Reply 8
Just wondering did you study Computing at OU? If you didn't just ignore this post.

I did :smile: Still am, but very nearly finished.
Original post by pmd_qwe
I did :smile: Still am, but very nearly finished.

Finally found someone on this forum who studied BSc Computing which is what I'll be starting in a couple months. Do you find if I PM you? Just want to ask what you thought of the course and specific modules, etc.
Reply 10
Finally found someone on this forum who studied BSc Computing which is what I'll be starting in a couple months. Do you find if I PM you? Just want to ask what you thought of the course and specific modules, etc.

Sure, no problem
Original post by pmd_qwe
Sure, no problem

Did you get my PM?
Reply 12
Did you get my PM?

I've replied now. Sorry for the delay, something came up :smile:
If either module has a start date later in the year, you can defer your start date for that module. Only downside of doing that though is you'll be studying straight into the next academic year with no break which can be exhausting.

The recommended hours for full-time are 32-36 hours and your time should be spent equally between the two modules, you'll have access to assignment deadlines after enrolling on both modules which can help you plan your time.

"And then once them assignments are finish, we continue studying towards the next assignments etc.." Yes, some modules have exams at the end once all assignments are completed. I'm not sure what modules you're studying but you can check the module descriptions on the website if you're unsure.

Thank you for this! I have had trouble finding others to discuss what it is like studying two modules at the same time! Good luck with your remaining studies!

Quick Reply

Latest