The Student Room Group

Bad A-level maths but good physics degree - What jobs can I get?

Hi, so my alevels weren't great. Worst of them all was maths in which I had a D. I somehow managed to get into an astrophysics degree at a Russel group university and graduated with a first class. I'm now doing a masters at UCL in an engineering degree and I'm thinking about career prospects.

I'm looking at careers in finance but some of them require a minimum Alevel maths. For example, pretty much all actuary roles look for a minimum of an A in Alevel maths but a 2:1 at uni. Would this hold me back from a lot of careers? If yes, what options do I have.
Original post by anonomousposter
Hi, so my alevels weren't great. Worst of them all was maths in which I had a D. I somehow managed to get into an astrophysics degree at a Russel group university and graduated with a first class. I'm now doing a masters at UCL in an engineering degree and I'm thinking about career prospects.

I'm looking at careers in finance but some of them require a minimum Alevel maths. For example, pretty much all actuary roles look for a minimum of an A in Alevel maths but a 2:1 at uni. Would this hold me back from a lot of careers? If yes, what options do I have.

If you got a first in astrophysics can't you just sit A level maths and further maths?
Original post by ajj2000
If you got a first in astrophysics can't you just sit A level maths and further maths?

Technically I could but doesn't that cost a lot? I also just want to focus on my career now if possible... it will take a while for me to re-study all of the alevel material. Ive also heard that they don't care about resit grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending