The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English literature - essay

Is it okay to only write 1 point in an essay and argue that single point the whole essay and still achieve a really high mark?
Hi,
The question is out of 30 marks, and even if you argue your point really well it won't be possible to achieve the top band of marks. The best thing to do is to make 2 clearly, structured points and argue them really well, both for and against in a PEEL structure or however you have been taught at your school by your teachers. It's also wise to include a small paragraph summarising your points in a conclusion so that it's clear to the examiner that you really know what you're talking about and can back it up. Constantly refer back to the text when you are providing evidence and linking to the question.
Good Luck! Hope it helps and let me know if you want more advice :smile: (I achieved an A* in english lit for my GCSEs)
Reply 2
Thank you so much! That was very helpful :smile:

Quick question: Is a thesis important to include in an essay?
Original post by doorsandwindows
Hi,
The question is out of 30 marks, and even if you argue your point really well it won't be possible to achieve the top band of marks. The best thing to do is to make 2 clearly, structured points and argue them really well, both for and against in a PEEL structure or however you have been taught at your school by your teachers. It's also wise to include a small paragraph summarising your points in a conclusion so that it's clear to the examiner that you really know what you're talking about and can back it up. Constantly refer back to the text when you are providing evidence and linking to the question.
Good Luck! Hope it helps and let me know if you want more advice :smile: (I achieved an A* in english lit for my GCSEs)
Original post by t.p
Thank you so much! That was very helpful :smile:

Quick question: Is a thesis important to include in an essay?

No problem, glad it helped! :smile:

And yes definitely! A thesis statement at the beginning of the essay is a great way to demonstrate to the examiner that you have a solid plan and knowledge for structuring your essay because you're briefly describing what you're going to explain in your essay - which is also a perfect way for the examiner to look back to if they want more clarity about the points you have described (gets the message clear). However, make sure the thesis is short and straight to the point (2/3 sentences), as I understand it can be tempting to go straight into explaining.
Reply 4
Thank you so much! Life saver :smile:
Original post by doorsandwindows
No problem, glad it helped! :smile:

And yes definitely! A thesis statement at the beginning of the essay is a great way to demonstrate to the examiner that you have a solid plan and knowledge for structuring your essay because you're briefly describing what you're going to explain in your essay - which is also a perfect way for the examiner to look back to if they want more clarity about the points you have described (gets the message clear). However, make sure the thesis is short and straight to the point (2/3 sentences), as I understand it can be tempting to go straight into explaining.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending