The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE French Speaking Higher (8658/SH) - 2023 [Exam Chat]

Hi guys i noticed there are currently no threads for French speaking exams.I dont know about everyone else but my school has given out the dates and mine is in the second week of May,i wouldn't say i'm bad at french im getting A* at the moment but i want A** and tbh speaking is my forte because that's where most of my marks which 1/4 of the exams.Enough ranting i just wanted to know how wveyone is preparing for their speaking and the techniques you all using ,the confidence level and everything.
i'm quite scared because sometimes i cannot hear anything my french teacher says and he has a really strong french accent so i tend to say the wrong answer for the questions,i dont want history to repeat itself in this real one,because if i dont hear him and say wrong things it'll be the end of me basically.
Hoping to hear from everyone else.Bonne chance!!!!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I know what you mean! French speaking is so harddddd but I'm taking it a level because I love it- that's why we do it!
Original post by Treigladauywbyw
I know what you mean! French speaking is so harddddd but I'm taking it a level because I love it- that's why we do it!

woww you must really love it,i'm jealous of you tbh i want to do french A level but after having a taster lesson of it i cant cope with the stress and the work,so im just happy to do well in gcse and drop it,but that's really cool you get to advance your french skills.
BTW how is french speaking revision going for you?
Original post by donebeinginthesh
Hi guys i noticed there are currently no threads for French speaking exams.I dont know about everyone else but my school has given out the dates and mine is in the second week of May,i wouldn't say i'm bad at french im getting A* at the moment but i want A** and tbh speaking is my forte because that's where most of my marks which 1/4 of the exams.Enough ranting i just wanted to know how wveyone is preparing for their speaking and the techniques you all using ,the confidence level and everything.
i'm quite scared because sometimes i cannot hear anything my french teacher says and he has a really strong french accent so i tend to say the wrong answer for the questions,i dont want history to repeat itself in this real one,because if i dont hear him and say wrong things it'll be the end of me basically.

is this for higher tier?
Original post by Talkative Toad
is this for higher tier?

Yes
Yes

I can't really give any advice to prepare but I simply went through some speaking exam questions and answered them (exam practice).
woww you must really love it,i'm jealous of you tbh i want to do french A level but after having a taster lesson of it i cant cope with the stress and the work,so im just happy to do well in gcse and drop it,but that's really cool you get to advance your french skills.
BTW how is french speaking revision going for you?

Well I'm doin quite well, just I am in cbac- so I am doing my french exam in Welsh so it may be a little harder for me, I am not really sure. But you can totally do a level french! It's hard, of course loll- but I'm sure you'll be fine. All I actually need to pass speaking is someone to talk to in french cause I only have one session a week with my teachers so it's a bit lacking. I actually want to do a french degree in the future, so I kind of have to do it haha
(edited 1 year ago)

There is no A** - both grade 8 and 9 are A*.

Have you looked at these: https://www.languagesonline.org.uk/French/French_Roleplays/Index.htm
Original post by Muttley79
There is no A** - both grade 8 and 9 are A*.

Have you looked at these: https://www.languagesonline.org.uk/French/French_Roleplays/Index.htmiuh

i was trying to emphasise that i want a grade above 8 thanks though lol
Original post by Treigladauywbyw
Well I'm doin quite well, just I am in cbac- so I am doing my french exam in Welsh so it may be a little harder for me, I am not really sure. But you can totally do a level french! It's hard, of course loll- but I'm sure you'll be fine. All I actually need to pass speaking is someone to talk to in french cause I only have one session a week with my teachers so it's a bit lacking. I actually want to do a french degree in the future, so I kind of have to do it haha

wow that's actually impressive!!!I'm sure you'll do well given that you actually want to get a degree in french.I have other subjects that i'm more focused on as i want to do that for my future career i like french but i don't want to be writing long essays about it tbh thats the only reason.
i was trying to emphasise that i want a grade above 8 thanks though lol

Just say you want a 9 - don't make up a grade :smile:
Ooh I remember preparing for my French GCSE speaking exam in 2018, (that I received full marks for haha), I remember going over making sure to use different tenses, different persons, using the proper future and not the near future, irregular verb conjugations (like je viendrai or j'ai vécu) and expressions like tandis que (while / whereas) and de surcoît (moreover, in addition). Try a subjunctive if you can too, like (mes parents veulent que je fasse my parents want me to...) or (il faut que j'aille Is is imperative that I go...) were fairly natural to incorporate into sentences in everyday speech. Good Luck!
Original post by Ðeggs
Ooh I remember preparing for my French GCSE speaking exam in 2018, (that I received full marks for haha), I remember going over making sure to use different tenses, different persons, using the proper future and not the near future, irregular verb conjugations (like je viendrai or j'ai vécu) and expressions like tandis que (while / whereas) and de surcoît (moreover, in addition). Try a subjunctive if you can too, like (mes parents veulent que je fasse my parents want me to...) or (il faut que j'aille Is is imperative that I go...) were fairly natural to incorporate into sentences in everyday speech. Good Luck!

thanks soo much that's actually very helpful!!!!!!!!
Hi
FRENCH AND SPANISH ORALS....
Here's a YouTube channel that covers all the topics in French and Spanish GCSE and includes all the examiner-pleasing expressions...
https://www.youtube.com/@lucymartintuition5841/videos

and this book gives you all the oral questions and top level answers with translations (there's a Spanish one too)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1535245484/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i5
Hello all! I have now made this the official thread for the AQA GCSE French Higher Speaking exam :smile: Good luck everyone :smile:
hi! my speaking exam is on May 2nd, for aqa higher, has anyone done theirs yet? if so how was it? any tips? what was ur photocard/roleplay??
Hi there - I'm a French tutor and I get everyone to use this when describing a place or hobby
J'ai de la chance car a mon avis c'est le meilleur quartier de Londres et j'y habite depuis cinq ans
If it's your school change college for quartier and habite goes to vais
If your hobby (football) change quartier to sport and habite to joue
then if it's a place - say 'ce que j'aime c'est qu'il y a tout ce dont j'ai besoin' and list the things in the town / school / house that you like
Activity stories in any tense - use avant de, apres avoir, en ....ant and modal verbs
holidays - finish with j'ai envie d'y retourner car a mon avis c'est le meilleur pays du monde
Meals - du poulet et des frites! keep to the same one or you'll get the little words wrong
Person - have one description in your head for whoever they ask about - don't tell the truth
future tense - impress them with 'quand je serai adulte' (when I'm grown up)
If sentences - these can go into ALL the present tense answers (if i had more time, if I could change something) and if it's a past tense answer, they need to shift slightly so if you're doing last week's shopping trip 'si j'avais eu plus d'argent j'aurais acheté plus de vetements' - if i'd had more money I would have bought more clothes
let me know if you want tips on role play or pic
I’m posting a link to an amazing you tube account and also brilliant books to support you with french GCSE such as ‘Countdown to French GCSE’ which gives you the whole course in ten hour long revision lessons. Lucy Martin has been helping my son with his French GCSE and she is amazing! He has gone from really worrying about French to loving it. Her free YouTube channel is really accessible - lots of lessons on aspects of the language and funny songs to help you remember things. Can’t recommend highly enough!

amazon link -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucy-Martin/e/B001JOZWUY/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

YouTube link

https://www.youtube.com/@lucymartintuition5841/videos

hope this helps. Good luck!
i'm doing speaking 3rd may.... wish me luck
Original post by AlishaDaisy
i'm doing speaking 3rd may.... wish me luck

Good luck ‼️‼️‼️ace ittt

Latest

Trending

Trending