The Student Room Group

Struggling to decide third A level subject

I wish to go to UEA and study environmental science, to help me with this I have chosen maths and environmental science as my first two A level subjects. For my third, I am stuck between physics or chemistry. I love physics but I think chemistry would be better suited for my studies. Can anybody help me decide?
Wow! Environmental science isn't a very common a level- you're very lucky to be able to take it if that what you'd like to do! I think perhaps chemistry would be a better option since the environment does contain a lot of biological, chemical, and, of course, biochemical goings on. If possible I suggest doing both if you can and more importantly, want to and think you're capable! Personally, if I were scientifically inclined (I was last year but my new teacher ruined my passion for biol), then I would pick biology and chemistry on top of those two choices since they compliment them the best. But that's what I find interesting haha! I now want to do french so things change
Original post by Vyshto Andeddu
I wish to go to UEA and study environmental science, to help me with this I have chosen maths and environmental science as my first two A level subjects. For my third, I am stuck between physics or chemistry. I love physics but I think chemistry would be better suited for my studies. Can anybody help me decide?

Chemistry does sound better suited for this, but if I were to decide I would say to go for the subject that you know you can do well in.
Reply 3
I would recommend chem. Take it from someone who did it at A level and does pharmaceutics at uni, if you just spend time understanding the content you will easily pass chemistry with flying colours. Just remember that you have to study just as hard as in the rest of your subjects and you'll do amazing :biggrin:

Hello!😊
I think Chemistry would be better suited for this!
Good Luck!

Is choose chemistry, as that will go better and help you more for what you want to do.
Obviously double check the requirements on the unis website first.
This is what it says on the website for that course:

"ABB including one from Geography, Geology, Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science or Physics. If you are taking an EPQ and three A-levels, we may offer you a one grade reduction on our advertised typical offer, if you achieve an A in the EPQ"

https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/bsc-environmental-sciences#course-entry-requirements

I hope that helps and Happy Easter!

Heya!
I would recommend checking out the entry requirements on the uni's website first and see what they require :h: You can also look at the modules and see from there what would be best for you to do. You will see the modules on the course page! If there's nothing specific then pick the alvl you enjoy :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Hey @Vyshto Andeddu :h:

It's super lovely that you're aiming to come and study environmental science with us and you're navigating your A levels with this in mind! Weighing up whether to choose physics or chemistry must be a little stressful, but the current entry requirements for the environmental science degree is as follows in regards to A levels:

"ABB including one from Geography, Geology, Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science or Physics", so theoretically speaking, either would be fine as long as you meet the grade specifications. I think if it was me I would choose the subject I think I'd enjoy most/do best in. I hope whichever A levels you choose, you get on brilliantly! If you have any questions about UEA or being a student in Norwich at all, please do let me know!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies

Quick Reply

Latest