The Student Room Group

How do I structure a personal statement on Politics and Economics?

I was pretty undecided on if I wanted to do uni next year so I’ve left my personal pretty late. I did my A Levels in Geography, Econ and Maths but I’m struggling on trying to figure out 3 distinct topics which I can write about in my ps. I was thinking one on Global Political Economy, one on Development Economics but the third is what I’m struggling on. I need it to have some sort of social policy aspect but my lack of actually doing Politics A Level means i’m sort of out of ideas. If anyone can help that would be really helpful.
Reply 1
Original post by AprilJune63
I was pretty undecided on if I wanted to do uni next year so I’ve left my personal pretty late. I did my A Levels in Geography, Econ and Maths but I’m struggling on trying to figure out 3 distinct topics which I can write about in my ps. I was thinking one on Global Political Economy, one on Development Economics but the third is what I’m struggling on. I need it to have some sort of social policy aspect but my lack of actually doing Politics A Level means i’m sort of out of ideas. If anyone can help that would be really helpful.

Hellooo, I am currently doing a Politics and Econ degree, so I can absolutely relate. Your ideas are really interesting, but I wrote mine kind of differently. Do you have a particular UNI in mind? Go to their website and search their subject topics - there should be some info on that and you can decide to write your 3rd paragraph on that info. Don't worry about not doing Politics A-Level, that doesn't matter. Maybe write a paragraph about a book or journal you read relating to politics and how that made you want to pursue a degree in that subject?
Reply 2
Original post by Nice_100
Hellooo, I am currently doing a Politics and Econ degree, so I can absolutely relate. Your ideas are really interesting, but I wrote mine kind of differently. Do you have a particular UNI in mind? Go to their website and search their subject topics - there should be some info on that and you can decide to write your 3rd paragraph on that info. Don't worry about not doing Politics A-Level, that doesn't matter. Maybe write a paragraph about a book or journal you read relating to politics and how that made you want to pursue a degree in that subject?

The unis I’m planning on applying to are Nottingham, York, Newcastle, Sheffield and Birmingham. But for Birmingham I’m applying to Policy, Politics & Econ. Idk would you feel comfortable sharing the way you wrote yours. The structure I’m going for is an interest from my A Levels/My experiences, then explaining some reading I did on it and then linking how I can develop my understanding further through studying the course. Then doing this for 3 paragraphs. However your comments making me a little unsure of this structure lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending