The Student Room Group

GCSE Exam + Revision

Hi,
So I've got around 5 weeks until my first GCSE exam and I'm starting to stress! I haven't done as much revision as anyone else, and I'm probably going to fail. One week of Easter is already gone and I don't think it was good revision. I tried revising using flashcard apps (like Anki) but I just end up making over 100 flashcards per topic and end up just not doing them. So that was a waste of time.

I also tried a few past papers to see if that was a good way to revise, but I haven't gone over any content or learn any of it yet, so I ended up just getting 32% in all 3 of my sciences. I did watch videos from freesciencelessons for sciences but I need to go over the content first.

I'm struggling to revise because I need to learn the information fast while making sure that I understand it (because I am still confused about some concepts) and I want to do as many past papers as I can as well as work on my weaker subjects like English (which I got a 5 in). I'm getting really nervous so if anyone did well in their GCSEs and has any tips, please help me out. Should I use flashcards, past papers or try blurting? I need to get over content fast (and understand it) so I have enough time to do past papers. I would appreciate it if you could help.

Thanks
A good place to start with revision may be to use Seneca - it doesn't cover stuff in enough detail but it may help with your general understanding and give you a starting point with practise questions
Does it cover everything you need from the spec? How do I learn the stuff it doesn't cover? Also, do you have any tips on how I can retain what I do in Seneca because sometimes I find myself doing something and 30 minutes later, I forget what I have just learnt!
Original post by flowersinmyhair
A good place to start with revision may be to use Seneca - it doesn't cover stuff in enough detail but it may help with your general understanding and give you a starting point with practise questions
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Student Wolf
Hi,
So I've got around 5 weeks until my first GCSE exam and I'm starting to stress! I haven't done as much revision as anyone else, and I'm probably going to fail. One week of Easter is already gone and I don't think it was good revision. I tried revising using flashcard apps (like Anki) but I just end up making over 100 flashcards per topic and end up just not doing them. So that was a waste of time.

I also tried a few past papers to see if that was a good way to revise, but I haven't gone over any content or learn any of it yet, so I ended up just getting 32% in all 3 of my sciences. I did watch videos from freesciencelessons for sciences but I need to go over the content first.

I'm struggling to revise because I need to learn the information fast while making sure that I understand it (because I am still confused about some concepts) and I want to do as many past papers as I can as well as work on my weaker subjects like English (which I got a 5 in). I'm getting really nervous so if anyone did well in their GCSEs and has any tips, please help me out. Should I use flashcards, past papers or try blurting? I need to get over content fast (and understand it) so I have enough time to do past papers. I would appreciate it if you could help.

Thanks

we're all in this together honestly.I personally think the way to do effective revision is to plan everything out like everyday you have a timetable of what you're doing and it makes me feel lighter in terms of stress i feel more relaxed and believe i can do it if i go through the topics of each subject thoroughly.
Also i got 9s in English in my recent mocks and tbh the youtuber who helped me the most is Mr.salles i promise ,you should just watch his videos practice and make notes.He's soo helpful and shows you how to get 7s and above as well having real gcse papers that got marked and reviewing it it really does help i recommend it!!
Just calm down and take your time if you stress too much nothing will effectively stick.
I hope this helps!!!
Thank you, that really helps. I'm just worried that I won't get round to doing past papers. I got some different ones from school so I have like 35 maths ones and 20 for each science. I have also been trying to do so much work this Easter, I was expecting to do 10 hours a day, but the last week, I have only done 2 hours each day. All my friends started revising ages ago and are now doing past papers, achieving 8s and 9s so I am trying to get through each topic as quickly as possible. I got 35% in all of my science papers so the last week I've been making flashcards to go through an entire topic in the specification for each science but nothing stays in my brain. I then end up with 100 flashcards to do but never get round to doing them. Do you have any tips on how I can be productive tomorrow and how I can make sure that I can get through each topic thoroughly as well as having time to do past papers?
Original post by donebeinginthesh
we're all in this together honestly.I personally think the way to do effective revision is to plan everything out like everyday you have a timetable of what you're doing and it makes me feel lighter in terms of stress i feel more relaxed and believe i can do it if i go through the topics of each subject thoroughly.
Also i got 9s in English in my recent mocks and tbh the youtuber who helped me the most is Mr.salles i promise ,you should just watch his videos practice and make notes.He's soo helpful and shows you how to get 7s and above as well having real gcse papers that got marked and reviewing it it really does help i recommend it!!
Just calm down and take your time if you stress too much nothing will effectively stick.
I hope this helps!!!
Original post by Student Wolf
Thank you, that really helps. I'm just worried that I won't get round to doing past papers. I got some different ones from school so I have like 35 maths ones and 20 for each science. I have also been trying to do so much work this Easter, I was expecting to do 10 hours a day, but the last week, I have only done 2 hours each day. All my friends started revising ages ago and are now doing past papers, achieving 8s and 9s so I am trying to get through each topic as quickly as possible. I got 35% in all of my science papers so the last week I've been making flashcards to go through an entire topic in the specification for each science but nothing stays in my brain. I then end up with 100 flashcards to do but never get round to doing them. Do you have any tips on how I can be productive tomorrow and how I can make sure that I can get through each topic thoroughly as well as having time to do past papers?

i really don't think you should try to do 10hrs honestly i know you want to do effective revision and get everything done and be productive but that's torture honestly.For me i do 5hrs a day which you might think isn't very efficient but i think its what helps me keep physical and mentally sane because doing too much hours will feel very depressing and less motivated ive been there trust me.Personally i use windows laptop and there's this new feature(came ages ago ,but its new to me lol) the clock you can set focus sessions on daily hours you want to achieve and set the task and tick off after your'e done. my daily goal is 4hrs but since its Easter i try to do anhour or two more.I feel like i'm ranting...Even though you're getting 35% in your sciences why don't you take the exam paper and go through the the question numbers so for example lets say in biology question 1 is all about the eye and you got 6/11 in that section just search up the eye gcse (i use save my exam for revision notes) i promise save my exams will save your exams as it has all the spec notes and every detail you need to know then you do revision on that whole topic whether you know some or not make sure you go through the whole revision notes and after what i do is use MME topic exams and then you move on do it for every question in that paper.I know you talked about doing flashcards but try taking notes in a book and make sure whatever your writing youre breaking it down in your own terms to understand it don't just write something without understanding it that's what i personally do.i hope you can do this effectively hope it helps !!!! You can do this just don't overthink and even though we have few weeks relax about it every minute counts either ways and I'm very sure your genuine efforts will pay off
If you want to you can try doing mock simulations (there is a typefrom at the end) I think it's extra good for dealing with exam anxiety + you will know which topics you should revise more. I personally like doing past papers, that way I know which topics I should improve.

Quick Reply

Latest