The Student Room Group

Everyone is succeeding but me

Hi, I'm currently on the graduate job search, having limited to no success, while I'm receiving interviews and positive feedback, I'm still yet to get any job offers. I've probably had over 10+ interviews now. Both my friends and partner are succeeding, securing jobs at their first attempts and I feel compared to them like a failure, or something is wrong with me. i spoke of my schools careers team, and she said their are nothing else for them to recommend, as my CV looks good and I've generally getting decent feedback at interviews.

Any advice on how to handle these feelings, I feel somewhat ashamed of myself?
The right thing will come along. There are some interview videos on youtube which might help prepare. The grad world is very competitive and it can be the smallest thing that makes them choose someone else over you. It does not mean you aren't hireable. Stay positive.
Original post by SandraNG
The right thing will come along. There are some interview videos on youtube which might help prepare. The grad world is very competitive and it can be the smallest thing that makes them choose someone else over you. It does not mean you aren't hireable. Stay positive.

Thanks I’m trying but it’s very hard to stay positive right now. I feel stuck.
Reply 3
Have you read back over all your previous threads on this?
You don't need us to tell you that comparing yourself to their success is pointless, so I won't.
What I will say is that this season of job hunting can feel like it will never end, but 5 years down the line when you've been working for a while, this will feel like no time at all.
If you're getting lots of interviews but failing after that, then it sounds like you've got a great CV and good at aptitude tests, but could work on your interview technique. A few suggestions:
Always write a thank you email and send it on the day of the interview. Google it for more detailed advice.
Make sure you present yourself well. This means in your appearance (professional and clean, controversial opinion but avoid anything too trendy) and in how you come across. You need to balance confidence with humility, so that you appear competent and eager to learn but not cocky.
Make sure you are actually answering the questions, and don't be afraid to ask them to repeat.
Give examples to back up your statements wherever possible, e.g. "yes I work really well in a team. When I was care worker I learnt that ensuring everyone had clear roles that matched their skillset was vital to working effectively, and carried that knowledge through to my final year assignment where I worked in a small team on xyz assignment...".
Always have questions! Make sure they are genuine (again Google for inspo) and have a few in case they answer one before you can ask.
You've provided quite a lot of help to people so far. What roles are you looking for?
I've moved your thread to a more appropriate place in the forums. In future, please double check to see if your thread would be better suited in another area. Thank-you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending