The Student Room Group

cambridge natsci entry requirements

i'm currently taking a levels in maths, fm, physics and computer science, and i want to take natural sciences at cambridge. as i'm only taking two maths/sciences (i don't think computer science counts), am i going to be able to get in? and therefore is it worth maing an application?
Yes, you can definitely still apply, but would be committed to going down the Physics or Astrophysics route (possibly broadening to Materials or Earth Sciences if you did a bit of extra reading).
They do accept applicants taking double maths and physics who are intending to focus on physics. Your options would be narrower but it's a reasonable possibility still.

Is there a particular reason you are considering natsci at Cambridge over e.g. physics at Oxford? Just to understand the specific appeal of natsci (as if it's because you want to pick up chemistry or something, that wouldn't be possible).
Reply 3
i'd like to pick up more biology parts of the course, and maybe earth sciences? on the entry requirements it says i could get onto these parts of the course without biology/chemistry, but they'd be "highly desirable", so i was wondering if this is code for you basically won't get it without the a-levels.
I think you'd find Biology of Cells or Physiology very challenging without either Chemistry or Biology A level, but Evolution and Behaviour might be doable. Earth Sciences would be a safer bet.
Original post by estherro
i'd like to pick up more biology parts of the course, and maybe earth sciences? on the entry requirements it says i could get onto these parts of the course without biology/chemistry, but they'd be "highly desirable", so i was wondering if this is code for you basically won't get it without the a-levels.

@Reality Check might be able to give a more informed view on things, but I believe BoC requires chemistry in any case and wouldn't be an option as a result, and from what I hear (and as above) PoO might be overly challenging without either biology or chemistry? BoC is a prerequisite to a number of Part IB options as well I believe so that's worth bearing in mind also.

I'm sure earth sciences or materials sciences would be reasonable options, although parts will undoubtedly relate to chemistry in both so you might need to brush up on some topics here and there. But equally there will be some particularly physics and maths oriented areas which you would presumably be well prepared for.

I'd note though I think on the website it gives (or used to) as an example of a combination of subjects for Part IB unlikely to be approved by the DoS as Physics A and Animal Biology due to them being largely unrelated. So there might be more of an emphasis on taking complementary subjects rather than picking and mixing entirely?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending