The Student Room Group

“I am your friend”

Hi all - English is not my first language so I’m not too sure on the exact meaning of this phrase (which way it applies).

If someone says “I am your friend” to you, does this mean that THEY have friendly intent towards YOU (so I should consider them one of my friends), or do they mean that YOU have friendly intent towards them (they should consider me one of their friends)?

Sorry if I could have worded this better - I’m really confused by it!!
Original post by Vertigo321
Hi all - English is not my first language so I’m not too sure on the exact meaning of this phrase (which way it applies).

If someone says “I am your friend” to you, does this mean that THEY have friendly intent towards YOU (so I should consider them one of my friends), or do they mean that YOU have friendly intent towards them (they should consider me one of their friends)?

Sorry if I could have worded this better - I’m really confused by it!!

'I'm your friend' simply means someone considers you as his or her friend and wants you to be one of his or her friends.

If he/she means something else, then it could be different, as it depends on that person and how he/she thinks. Hence, it's better to ask him/her.
Reply 2
Original post by Meheraj
'I'm your friend' simply means someone considers you as his or her friend and wants you to be one of his or her friends.

If he/she means something else, then it could be different, as it depends on that person and how he/she thinks. Hence, it's better to ask him/her.

Ah, so if someone says this to me this means then that they like me and wants to have/show friendly intents TOWRDS me? (Ie. It is NOT them acknowledging that I have friendly intent towards them?)

Sorry for the confusion!! I hope it is not as confusing for a native speaker!!
Original post by Vertigo321
Ah, so if someone says this to me this means then that they like me and wants to have/show friendly intents TOWRDS me? (Ie. It is NOT them acknowledging that I have friendly intent towards them?)

Sorry for the confusion!! I hope it is not as confusing for a native speaker!!

Yeah, I assume they like you and the intention is friendly. But the best thing you can do is ask that person, which will make everything clearer.

It's fine. By the way, neither am I a native speaker.

Quick Reply

Latest