The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan Query

Hi SFE - I am expecting to receive my maintenance loan in a couple of weeks time as per request by my home university as I am a student currently studying abroad, and this payment will be before Semester 2 begins. In the next couple of weeks, I will be dropping out of my study abroad due to mental health difficulties, and by then I will already have my SFE. For context, my maintenance loan will arrive on the 4th, I will be leaving my study abroad/last day of study on the 10th. I am curious though, because I am getting this maintenance loan by special request, getting it before semester 2, but still before I commit to my leave of absence, will I still be privy to the same rules about overpayment collections? I would like to be able to keep this money as I need to set myself back up in the UK as I return home and am happy for it to be taken off of next years maintenance loan when I return to my studies in September 2024 - I just want to ensure that this will be the case, as I am worried they'll ask me back for the entire thing all at once as I am technically leaving before Semester 2 begins - Please help!
Original post by hgmramsey
Hi SFE - I am expecting to receive my maintenance loan in a couple of weeks time as per request by my home university as I am a student currently studying abroad, and this payment will be before Semester 2 begins. In the next couple of weeks, I will be dropping out of my study abroad due to mental health difficulties, and by then I will already have my SFE. For context, my maintenance loan will arrive on the 4th, I will be leaving my study abroad/last day of study on the 10th. I am curious though, because I am getting this maintenance loan by special request, getting it before semester 2, but still before I commit to my leave of absence, will I still be privy to the same rules about overpayment collections? I would like to be able to keep this money as I need to set myself back up in the UK as I return home and am happy for it to be taken off of next years maintenance loan when I return to my studies in September 2024 - I just want to ensure that this will be the case, as I am worried they'll ask me back for the entire thing all at once as I am technically leaving before Semester 2 begins - Please help!

Hi there,

Do you know if your university will class you as being withdrawn or suspended?

Are you planning to return to the course at some point?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Do you know if your university will class you as being withdrawn or suspended?

Are you planning to return to the course at some point?

Thanks, Graeme

Hiya!

I’ll be classed as suspended as I will be returning back for my final year of studies on the same course in september 2024

Thanks!

Hi there,

If you are to leave the course before the term actually starts then yes you would be overpaid and would need to pay back that full term instalment. Do you know if the university have sent us a Change of Circumstances Suspension to update your application?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 4
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

If you are to leave the course before the term actually starts then yes you would be overpaid and would need to pay back that full term instalment. Do you know if the university have sent us a Change of Circumstances Suspension to update your application?

Thanks, Drew

Not yet as I am yet to decide about leaving the course just yet. However, when you mention paying back would that be immediately or through the normal means aka either all in one, payment plan or taking off my maintenance loan when I return to the course?
Not yet as I am yet to decide about leaving the course just yet. However, when you mention paying back would that be immediately or through the normal means aka either all in one, payment plan or taking off my maintenance loan when I return to the course?

Hi there,

Once we receive the Change of Circumstances Suspension from your university we will re-assess your entitlement and send you an overpayment letter. At this point they will give you options so you would be able to have it deducted from your future funding.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 6
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

Once we receive the Change of Circumstances Suspension from your university we will re-assess your entitlement and send you an overpayment letter. At this point they will give you options so you would be able to have it deducted from your future funding.

Thanks, Drew

Okay fantastic, thank you so much! I am in a tricky situation where upon returning to the UK I will need that money for accommodation means so that’s amazing to hear it can be taken out of future entitlements where i can have a job by then!
Okay fantastic, thank you so much! I am in a tricky situation where upon returning to the UK I will need that money for accommodation means so that’s amazing to hear it can be taken out of future entitlements where i can have a job by then!

Hi there,

Hope it all goes well and have a nice rest of your day.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending