The Student Room Group

research methodology

If my aim is to find out how controlling emotions impacts academic success through interviewing teachers, would i use grounded theory or ethnography as my methodology?
Ethnography involves entering into the world of the subjects - in this case the educational setting - to gather primary data via observation, making field notes as well as undertaking interviews. Are you considering doing that?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cheadle
Ethnography involves entering into the world of the subjects - in this case the educational setting - to gather primary data via observation, making field notes as well as undertaking interviews. Are you considering doing that?

I will only collect data through interviews rather than observation
Have you had advice from your supervisor on this?
Original post by cheadle
Have you had advice from your supervisor on this?

everything has been approved for the research. it's just the writing up section, the two methodologies seem to both be applicable for my research so i'm getting confused as to whether i can decide on either one or if one is better suited than the other.
Have you done your interviews yet?
Original post by cheadle
Have you done your interviews yet?

yes sorry if im confusing you
No problem.

It's preferable to know what method you're using before you gather data!
However, given where you are, you do need to make a decision before you undertake your analysis.

There is a ton of info online, such as this

https://pediaa.com/difference-between-grounded-theory-and-ethnography/

But I honestly would go back to your supervisor for some further advice on this.
Real World Research by Colin Robson is an excellent research methodology text book
Original post by cheadle
No problem.

It's preferable to know what method you're using before you gather data!
However, given where you are, you do need to make a decision before you undertake your analysis.

There is a ton of info online, such as this

https://pediaa.com/difference-between-grounded-theory-and-ethnography/

But I honestly would go back to your supervisor for some further advice on this.

ok thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending