The Student Room Group

Options Dilemma - Is EBacc Worth It?

Hi Everyone,

I'm in Year 8, and in about nine months I will be selecting my options.

A bit of background before reading below:
I'm aiming for Cambridge Uni to study something along the lines of Maths/Computer Science/ Engineering. I'm predicted pretty much all 9s for GCSE, and I'm on 5s and 6s right now, which is the highest you can get in my year (my highest grade is currently an 8 because my teacher moved me off the grading scale). I want to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science at A-Level, but I also love Music, I'm Grade 5 Guitar and it's one of my favourite subjects, although I don't want to take it in further education.

Here's the thing, since I want to do Triple Science, my school will only allow me to choose three additional options.

I've been extremely struggling to pick, but I think I've narrowed it down to three possible choices.

1: Music, Computer Science, History (some of my favourite subjects, I have high grades in these (5s and 6s now which are the highest grades available in Year 8, predicted 9s for GCSE, but this doesn't fit EBacc).

2: Music, French, History (whilst self-studying Computer Science, I enjoy French and these options fit Ebacc).

3: Computer Science, History, French (fits EBacc, subjects I enjoy, only problem is I won't be able to do Music, which is a shame because I really like it and am predicted a top grade).

What do you think? Is EBacc worth it? I've found amazing resources to start self-studying Computer Science and take it early, perhaps in Year 9 or 10, is this a good idea?

Thanks for Reading!

Scroll to see replies

Hey i am in year 13 and i would honestly pick music as universities don’t care about what GCSE’s you have done but more about grades. And even grades wise i know oxford and Cambridge check your GCSE grades all but most top unis just want you to have done well in Maths and English. I would also choose music as it shows different skills and how you are well rounded and if it’s something you enjoy it will probably help your overall results. Also if you did compter science with either history or french it still counts as EBAC but trust me no university has ever mentioned EBAC its just something secondary schools make you do for better ofsted reports
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Gingernut123
Hey i am in year 13 and i would honestly pick music as as long as universities don’t care about what GCSE’s you have done but more about grades. And even grades wise i know oxford and Cambridge check all but most top unis just want you to have done well in Maths and English. I would also choose music as it shows different skills and how you are well rounded and if it’s something you enjoy it will probably help your overall results.

Thank you for the advice. I just don't want Cambridge to view it as a "soft" subject.
Original post by EnigmaChess
Thank you for the advice. I just don't want Cambridge to view it as a "soft" subject.

They wont i know someone who got in who studied art and music, universities care more about references, work experience and your personal statement before even checking GCSE grades and options.
Original post by Gingernut123
They wont i know someone who got in who studied art and music, universities care more about references, work experience and your personal statement before even checking GCSE grades and options.

Ah okay. I've got some work experience lined up for the summer in Computer Science so that should help.
Cambridge colleges think music is such a soft subject that they give out scholarships for singing, playing instruments and most importantly playing the organ.
Original post by Trinculo
Cambridge colleges think music is such a soft subject that they give out scholarships for singing, playing instruments and most importantly playing the organ.

Oh I didn't know that, is this only for music courses?
Oh I didn't know that, is this only for music courses?

It’s by college and each college has different criteria. Some don’t allow it for some courses. There’s a listing under “music awards” .

I’m not suggesting you apply for one - I’m just saying that it would be strange in the extreme to think that music isn’t important at Cambridge.

No uni requires the Ebacc - it's not a qualification at all. It's a measure for your school and,as such, is irrelevant to you.

Do subjects you enjoy and will do well in.

[Do note if you go for Engineering then look beyond Cambridge - it's not the best if you want to ne an Engineer - no year in industry option]
Original post by Muttley79
No uni requires the Ebacc - it's not a qualification at all. It's a measure for your school and,as such, is irrelevant to you.

Do subjects you enjoy and will do well in.

[Do note if you go for Engineering then look beyond Cambridge - it's not the best if you want to ne an Engineer - no year in industry option]

I thought it was one of the best universities for engineering, it's rated Number 1 or 2 in most league tables.
I thought it was one of the best universities for engineering, it's rated Number 1 or 2 in most league tables.

League tables don't tell you who is working as an Engineer - none of my top students A*A*A*A go there now.
(edited 1 year ago)
League tables don't tell you who is working as an Engineer - none of my top students A*A*A*A go there now.

What makes Cambridge bad?
What makes Cambridge bad?

It's not 'bad' - the course hasn't kept up with what Engineers need - it's very theoretical and no year in industry.
It's not 'bad' - the course hasn't kept up with what Engineers need - it's very theoretical and no year in industry.

I prefer more theoretical work, is there a subject like Engineering that's a little less hands-on (I was thinking of Engineering as it combines Maths, Physics and Computer Science).
I prefer more theoretical work, is there a subject like Engineering that's a little less hands-on (I was thinking of Engineering as it combines Maths, Physics and Computer Science).

The design part of Engineering is software based but again the last I heard Cambridge wasn't using up-to-date versions.
The design part of Engineering is software based but again the last I heard Cambridge wasn't using up-to-date versions.

Maybe Engineering isn't the right choice, what other subjects are there?
Maybe Engineering isn't the right choice, what other subjects are there?

You are only in year 8 - lots of time to think.

https://www.ucas.com/explore/search/subject-guides?query=engineering

Put A levels in here: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

These links are great, thank you.
These links are great, thank you.

I was going to take a History degree when I was in Year 8 - I didn't stop loving History but found I loved Maths even more!

Keep options broad and you can't go wrong - no uni requires a MFL GCSE or the Ebacc.
EBacc is not a qualification, it's a metric used to assess schools. Universities (and employers) don't care whether you did the EBacc or not. In fact by and large they don't care what options you take at GCSE at all, just the overall grades. So just take whatever you'll enjoy and do well in.

Also Cambridge is perfectly fine for engineering. Certain users on this website have a bias against Cambridge (and Oxford) and towards other universities but do not make this clear when advising impressionable students.

Quick Reply

Latest