The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy MSc Pre-reg Liverpool

Hi, I am looking to do Occupational Therapy MSc Pre-reg at Uni of Liverpool which is £9250 per year (2 years). I am a bit confused with the funding available as I've seen some people say it's an exempt course and is funded like an undergrad but not everywhere says this and they're from a few years ago, I was just wondering is this still the case? Or does it work like a normal masters so I would only have access to approx £12000 for tuition and living costs?
Thanks!
Reply 1
I am so confused too! I know things have changed again but I’m really hoping it’s like a second undergrad? I’ve already done a post grad so won’t be able to access any more student funding I don’t think? It’s really stressing me out x
Reply 2
I'm hoping to apply to an allied health msc in the next year or so, so in a similar position, and yes you're correct. It's in the list of allied health courses, so when you do the msc (or even a second bachelors if you want) they will give you undergrad funding. So they give you an undergraduate tuition fee loan, a maintenance loan, and a £5k NHS bursary on top. You can find info on the gov.uk page about allied health courses
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/considering-or-university/financial-support-university
https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf
The explanation about tuition and maintenance is here:
https://www.findamasters.com/guides/postgraduate-nursing-bursaries

Original post by ewang21
Hi, I am looking to do Occupational Therapy MSc Pre-reg at Uni of Liverpool which is £9250 per year (2 years). I am a bit confused with the funding available as I've seen some people say it's an exempt course and is funded like an undergrad but not everywhere says this and they're from a few years ago, I was just wondering is this still the case? Or does it work like a normal masters so I would only have access to approx £12000 for tuition and living costs?
Thanks!
Reply 3
Thank you!
My friend is studying Msc OT at the University of Liverpool. She is happy to answer questions. Also she is interested in transferring her current tenancy to a new student coming in Jan 2024 at a discounted price. Please pm if interested. Thank you.
Reply 5
Original post by Tejaswini123
My friend is studying Msc OT at the University of Liverpool. She is happy to answer questions. Also she is interested in transferring her current tenancy to a new student coming in Jan 2024 at a discounted price. Please pm if interested. Thank you.

Thanks that's so helpful! One of my big questions for OT msc is if you find it interesting? I'm from a humanities background so I don't cover anything to do with the sciences and was wondering if the modules covered were what you were expecting. I'm also wondering if a) you think it's better to do a bsc or msc in OT (is the msc still manageable in terms of content?) And b) if you think going straight into the msc after a bachelors would be wise or not (ik it's more personal to my situation but if you have any opinions it would be greatly appreciated lol). How much of the content covers the pediatric side of things?

It’s ok to come from humanities background. Same to me but I self study a lot of anatomy during the program. Lots of free materials online.

if you know OT is a your passion do it asap as experience matters a lot. If you can handle an undergrad you can properly manage a master. Some schools make their master programs slightly harder but making it harder to pass or asking for more critical evaluation during assignments.

Not much paediatric stuff is covered but it depends on school and teacher, I was covered on sensory integration and hand writing. It’s very basic. The system in the U.K. is getting training on the job more than teaching you everything in the program.

Original post by bulbethaur
I'm hoping to apply to an allied health msc in the next year or so, so in a similar position, and yes you're correct. It's in the list of allied health courses, so when you do the msc (or even a second bachelors if you want) they will give you undergrad funding. So they give you an undergraduate tuition fee loan, a maintenance loan, and a £5k NHS bursary on top. You can find info on the gov.uk page about allied health courses
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/considering-or-university/financial-support-university
https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf
The explanation about tuition and maintenance is here:
https://www.findamasters.com/guides/postgraduate-nursing-bursaries

Hi, do you know if this is still the case if you’ve done a 4 year undergrad with a foundation year? Or will that limit my SFE funding?
Original post by Biofanatic24
Hi, do you know if this is still the case if you’ve done a 4 year undergrad with a foundation year? Or will that limit my SFE funding?

I've done the same, I did foundation and repeated a year so 5 altogether. It's considered a postgrad course still, you're just eligible for undergrad funding. They expect you to already have an undergrad so yes, since undergrad funding is the length of your course +1 year extra funding (so even if you only did 3 years at undergrad you'd still have no funding left after you graduated). The case isn't much different if you do a 2nd undergrad.
Original post by ewang21
Thanks!

Hi, this was answered for me on a similar question:
,,Just to let you know, Postgraduate Healthcare courses attract undergraduate funding, so you'll be entitled to the Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans, plus any grants you're entitled to.,,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending