The Student Room Group

Bengali people I need to ask something please.

Hi there, I went to Bangladesh last month and got married to a Bangladeshi woman, she is great. It was an arranged marriage.

I am back home now in the UK and the long distance relationship starts now, because I have to apply to bring her here which takes time.

I am wondering what cute Bengali names there are to call my wife when on the phone and on texts.

I know how to speak Bangla, but don’t know anything love names, but I know some, Lokki, moyna, koilja, jaan, is there any more you know?

Any help here would be very much appreciated

Many thanks.
You basically know all the cute love names. I can't think of anything else besides the ones you mentioned:biggrin:. But I think I heard some couples call each other 'shona' and 'tuntuni'.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there, I went to Bangladesh last month and got married to a Bangladeshi woman, she is great. It was an arranged marriage.

I am back home now in the UK and the long distance relationship starts now, because I have to apply to bring her here which takes time.

I am wondering what cute Bengali names there are to call my wife when on the phone and on texts.

I know how to speak Bangla, but don’t know anything love names, but I know some, Lokki, moyna, koilja, jaan, is there any more you know?

Many thanks.

Gulab, Laila
Original post by NazifaNawer
You basically know all the cute love names. I can't think of anything else besides the ones you mentioned:biggrin:. But I think I heard some couples call each other 'shona' and 'tuntuni'.

Thanks let me know if you remember anymore. What else can I talk about? My communication skills are bad specially when she wants to talk about love all the time, I try not to fall asleep on the phone
Original post by Mohammed_80
Gulab, Laila

Hi, Gulab means sweet right? Don’t know what Laila means?
Hi, Gulab means sweet right? Don’t know what Laila means?

Yeah Sweet

Many thanks.

@Mj4146 Can you suggest something?

Many thanks.

Sorry, no offense. All of those names you mentioned are pretty much old-fashioned.

These are two that came to mind: 'My Sunshine', 'My Heartbreaker'. :biggrin:
Thanks let me know if you remember anymore. What else can I talk about? My communication skills are bad specially when she wants to talk about love all the time, I try not to fall asleep on the phone

Sure I will. If you don't mind, can I ask how old is she? By your description, it seems like she's less than 20.
Try asking her about her likes and dislikes. Girls like being asked about themselves. Even simple questions like "what's your favourite colour?' can make her really happy as she will think you care about her. And I think calling her often, each time for only 5-10 mins, to tell her that you miss her or that some random thing reminded you about her is better than calling her 1-2 times a day, each time talking for over an hour.
Btw, I have no idea about marriage stuff as I'm still in school. I'm just sharing what I would like to talk about if I was in your wife's place. So forgive me if my advice doesn't work!
@Meheraj 🤦🤦🤦 u at me!!!

I can only think of jaan but it's not rlly Bengali is it? Also don't ask me how ik that!! @Meheraj. If you know words in English just translate them in bengali
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mj4146
@Meheraj 🤦🤦🤦 u at me!!!

I can only think of jaan but it's not rlly Bengali is it? Also don't ask me how ok that!! @Meheraj. If you know words in English just translate them in bengali

I know you are not asking me but if we just translate the word sweetheart to Bengali, for example, it will be "mishti hridoy":tongue:. I don't think OP's wife has ever heard cute names like this but it will be an unique one :biggrin:
Original post by NazifaNawer
I know you are not asking me but if we just translate the word sweetheart to Bengali, for example, it will be "mishti hridoy":tongue:. I don't think OP's wife has ever heard cute names like this but it will be an unique one :biggrin:

Oh yeah you are right. It was just a suggestion though. But yeah I get what your trying to say.
Original post by Mj4146
@Meheraj 🤦🤦🤦 u at me!!!

I can only think of jaan but it's not rlly Bengali is it? Also don't ask me how ik that!! @Meheraj. If you know words in English just translate them in bengali

I'm not quite sure whether 'Jaan' is a Bengali word or not. Looks like it came from either Hindi or Urdu. I already did suggest some.
Original post by Meheraj
I'm not quite sure whether 'Jaan' is a Bengali word or not. Looks like it came from either Hindi or Urdu. I already did suggest some.

Yeah I know... That is why I said It not rlly Bengali.
I know you suggested some. They weren't rlly Bengali but yh I see...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending