The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Studying far away from home

Hey guys, I took a gap year because I didn't feel prepared for university and I've already reapplied and gotten into Exeter. I've firmed Exeter and since my offer was unconditional I'll be going there in September.
Part of the reason I picked Exeter is because I'm from Manchester so it's really far and I think I'll be better off further away because of my circumstances. At the same time, I'm a bit nervous about living further away because I'll be in a complete new environment and travelling back home might not always be simple. I just wanna know if there's anyone else that has gone really far and how they've coped?
hey, I went from east anglia to West Country, so quite a stretch for me. I had never visited the city I chose because it was my insurance and I wasn't able to make any of the open days or choose my accommodation so it was assigned to me at random. for me, I ended up crying my eyes out on the first night and when my parents left (after having them stay for five hours), but after the first night I was absolutely fine. Just before my parents left the other two flatmates who had also moved in that day knocked on my door and asked if I wanted to join them on a walk around the city. It was quite late, but it was still nice talking about where we all came from, the different slang we had and other things like hobbies in a smaller environment the the rest of the flatmates were yet to arrive.
one thing that I really think helped me was choosing the first move-in date available. that saves you from having to learn multiple names in one day, instead you get to watch everyone else trickle in and it's a much slower process! also ensure you have some comfort films/series and lots of microwave popcorn hehe :smile: and if you really are homesick, FaceTime and calling is still valid, even if it's with your friends elsewhere! writing letters is also cute and fun.
hope this helps and good luck !
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Anonymous
hey, I went from east anglia to West Country, so quite a stretch for me. I had never visited the city I chose because it was my insurance and I wasn't able to make any of the open days or choose my accommodation so it was assigned to me at random. for me, I ended up crying my eyes out on the first night and when my parents left (after having them stay for five hours), but after the first night I was absolutely fine. Just before my parents left the other two flatmates who had also moved in that day knocked on my door and asked if I wanted to join them on a walk around the city. It was quite late, but it was still nice talking about where we all came from, the different slang we had and other things like hobbies in a smaller environment the the rest of the flatmates were yet to arrive.
one thing that I really think helped me was choosing the first move-in date available. that saves you from having to learn multiple names in one day, instead you get to watch everyone else trickle in and it's a much slower process! also ensure you have some comfort films/series and lots of microwave popcorn hehe :smile: and if you really are homesick, FaceTime and calling is still valid, even if it's with your friends elsewhere! writing letters is also cute and fun.
hope this helps and good luck !

Thank you for this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending