The Student Room Group

Does studying abroad disrupt your social life in the uni you go to when you return?

I'm worried I'll make friends with people, go abroad, and then come back and be on my own.
Also, people who have studied abroad - would you recommend it? Do you regret it?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm worried I'll make friends with people, go abroad, and then come back and be on my own.
Also, people who have studied abroad - would you recommend it? Do you regret it?

Hi there

I have not been abroad to study, however, here are some things that you can consider:

Since you will be studying abroad for some time, it means that others may graduate before you. However, that is not to say you will be back on your own. It is always possible to make friends with students at different years throughout University. Also I am certain you will be able to find those who have an option to take a year abroad too.

Studying abroad is a really exciting opportunity, you get to experience the different cultures and environment, you are also likely to meet new people there. I do not think that your social life will be disrupted just by taking a year abroad.

Several of my friends are currently doing a year abroad: in Korea, America, and Hong Kong. So far they are really enjoying it, and if it is something that interests you, I would recommend trying it out.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi!
I am about to return from my semester abroad and so am somewhat in a position to comment on this, although I have not returned yet.
I think if you make friends and they are truly your friends they will be happy for you and excited to come home. I definitely feel that way about my friends. However, I have only been away for 1 semester not a whole year so it may differ depending on how long you are away for but I would definitely recommend studying abroad.

Hope this helps! Faye :smile:

Hey Anon! I studied abroad and it was (totally cliche) one of my fav things I've ever done ✈️
I had a compulsory period of time abroad within my degree so me and my course mates were all away at the same time and came back at the same time. I'm sure that for your degree you wouldn't be the only one travelling and returning back so you won't be on your own. Studying abroad is really popular usually so there will be a crowd of you that choose to go!

When I went away I ended up being placed in a city with two people from my uni that I didn't know prior to studying abroad. I met them regularly and ended up being best friends with one - so I actually gained friends both from closer to home and further afield 🙂 I was completely out of my comfort zone but so was everyone there, and you naturally make friends with people and bond over settling in to your new location. Keep in touch with everyone still at home (invite them over to see you for a visit!) and you'll feel better about the transition back to your home uni.

I really loved my study abroad experience - it brought me on academically as well as socially, and my confidence grew soooo much. It was my first time living independently of my parents and I learned tons about adulting properly! It was such a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world and build some international experience to use in my CV. I really benefited from it. My one tip would be to save up as much as you can beforehand though as financially it can be challenging.

Let us know what you decide! Where would your options to study be?

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending