The Student Room Group

N/a

N/a
(edited 12 months ago)
Original post by _np02_
I am drawn to both physics and mathematics however I have a certain soft spot for physics but I have a few concerns about going into a physics degree . To me it seems natural that science should be based on research , questioning , experimenting etc however it seems to me that a lot of what we learn about science is more about being taught what to think and not how to think outside what we are taught , to question what we are taught , to try to come up with our own ideas and even when we do I find that there is a lot of unjust criticism with it . Sometimes I even wonder whether philosophy is the path for me however I can’t ignore that past physicists held philosophy at its core and I still have the view that philosophy is the foundation for physics but physics today does not seem to for most part attribute itself to such ideals therefore I am afraid that if I go with physics , the education system will simply limit me into a certain box. At the same time I am wondering whether I’m under some illusion and whether this is not at all the case and whether a physics degree is enough to give me ability with anything to do with physics and to even go into becoming a professor someday and not to just discuss what I’m told to discuss ? With maths yes there may be similar issues however I feel like maths has in it a sense of freedom to it and I do like the idea of going deeper into certain maths theories particularly
I still haven’t decided yet though

Maths, physics and philosophy all keep a large amount of options open to you :yep:

Can I ask if it is your aim to become a professor someday?

And could I also ask how old you are? Just so I can get a sense of which level of education you're at at the moment. :colondollar:
On a completely different note, this thread by some miracle landed in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths university courses parent forum, which I believe is set to no posting. This meant I couldn't reply to the thread, so I've moved it into one of the sub forums.

Can I ask what you pressed to create this thread?
Was it the "Ask a question" button at the top of the screen? :holmes:
Original post by _np02_
I am drawn to both physics and mathematics however I have a certain soft spot for physics but I have a few concerns about going into a physics degree . To me it seems natural that science should be based on research , questioning , experimenting etc however it seems to me that a lot of what we learn about science is more about being taught what to think and not how to think outside what we are taught , to question what we are taught , to try to come up with our own ideas and even when we do I find that there is a lot of unjust criticism with it . Sometimes I even wonder whether philosophy is the path for me however I can’t ignore that past physicists held philosophy at its core and I still have the view that philosophy is the foundation for physics but physics today does not seem to for most part attribute itself to such ideals therefore I am afraid that if I go with physics , the education system will simply limit me into a certain box. At the same time I am wondering whether I’m under some illusion and whether this is not at all the case and whether a physics degree is enough to give me ability with anything to do with physics and to even go into becoming a professor someday and not to just discuss what I’m told to discuss ? With maths yes there may be similar issues however I feel like maths has in it a sense of freedom to it and I do like the idea of going deeper into certain maths theories particularly
I still haven’t decided yet though

Hi there!

I have just graduated from Lancaster University with a Natural Sciences BSc so thought I could give my experience with the degree as it sounds like it could be something that could work well with your decision between physics and maths. I think university naturally tends to push you to think outside of what your taught more than A levels but studying something such as philosophy might push that more than something like physics. I also think the further you go through your degree, the more you can explore your own ideas.

Natural Sciences degrees tend to vary by university, so it's definitely worth having a look around to see what course is right for you. At Lancaster, the degree is very flexible, you can choose 3 pathways out of a possible 21. The subjects range from physics, maths, geography, computer science, engineering, earth sciences, and more, so there are many different possible combinations! The complete list of different pathways is in the brochure which can be found here - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/ . You can also study a subject outside of the sciences as one of your pathways, so could study philosophy if that was something that you were interested in. I also know that some universities offer Maths/Physics/Philosophy combinations.

Overall, I would say that with any course, you can find academics who are really passionate about their subjects and very willing to discuss deeper theories to the course, so you can enrich your degree past the taught content.

Best of luck with all of your decisions, if you have any further questions, feel free to let me know!

- Bethan (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
I also go to Lancaster University. At least in the first year and much of the second year, the mathematics lectures here generally told me the concepts and their proofs without making me think of them. However I also did nine "problem solving" sessions throughout the year, where they didn't tell me the methods to solve the questions. These helped me think more like a mathematician.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending