The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

accommodation in the city centre or campus

Hi , I am going to star uni in Septemberéàé"; Where undergraduates stay? u=In uni Capus or city centre? Thanks,
Mara
Campus - roll out of bed for classes but its a long walk back up that hill after a night out.

Town - its a beautiful place, you are right on the centre of everything at weekends, but its bus ride to Uni.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hello Me-swaters!

Many congrats on your offer from Bath, really glad to see you have decided to firm it!

In terms of first year accommodation, the majority of students live on Campus. Like McGinger has said, there are definitely some advantages to staying on campus. For example, you will be able to save time - you can practically walk anywhere on Campus in ten minutes or less, so yes, you will have more chance of a lie-in! When I lived on campus in my first year a few years ago, I always felt closer to the 'student community' as i was only a minute's walk from the SU and my favourite cafe.

Living in the city also has its pros though - indeed when in the city you are much closer to the hustle, bustle and buzz - you are closer to the city's bars, restaurants, coffee shops, shopping streets, supermarkets and nightclubs etc, which some students prefer to living on campus, which has fewer of these kinds of places. And, with U1 buses every 10-15 minutes its very easy and quick to get up to campus for a class or after a night out. In my first year, some of my flat's closest friends were living in the city, and they were always visiting our flat for film and games nights, etc - distance was not a barrier there at all!

Choosing city or campus is always a difficult decision, and it really depends on the kind of experience you would like and what you know about yourself as a person. You might find it helpful to read Alessandro's blog about his experience living in the city during first year, and this living in the city info page for more info. There are also several other blogs about living on campus in various different halls if you wanted an alternative perspective.

Very best of luck in choosing your accommodation option - and remember if you have any more questions please post them on here, or if you would like more advice you can always email [email protected] - the accommodation team are really friendly and would be more than happy to give you more info.

I hope that helps!

Holly
University of Bath

Quick Reply

Latest