The Student Room Group

ALEVELS

Im still making desiscions on options. Ive got my heart set on physics, maths and further maths, but i want to do something else too. Im really good at welsh (like nearly fluent), and i really enjoy it. But i also quite like chemistry.
Would it be better to do welsh 2nd language, where im practically guaranteed a top mark, or chemistry?
Original post by JDaviesF
Im still making desiscions on options. Ive got my heart set on physics, maths and further maths, but i want to do something else too. Im really good at welsh (like nearly fluent), and i really enjoy it. But i also quite like chemistry.
Would it be better to do welsh 2nd language, where im practically guaranteed a top mark, or chemistry?

depends on what you want to go into but if it doesn't require chemistry, do welsh (if those are the only two you are considering)

languages aren't soft at all nor are they considered that at uni (ofc this varies but that is the general consensus with languages). you really enjoy it AND do well at it. that's a major green flag imo so once you've explored the course more, i'd say do welsh - it also provides a nice contrast:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Crb763
It really depend on what you want to do. What usually happens it that people pick 4 a levels in the first year and then they drop one in the second year, so they are left with 3. As you have your heart set on physics, math and further math, chemistry would make the most sense (going with the STEM theme).

However, that is not to say that you should not choose Welsh. You have your heart set on really intense a levels, so it would be easier for you to chose a 'soft' fourth option i.e Welsh. In this way you could put more of your focus on your 3 other a levels.

You are still making decisions, so take some time to think whether chemistry or Welsh would be more beneficial for the job you want.

BTW, what course are you thinking of applying to for uni?

I want to do maths or physics
Original post by JDaviesF

Heya!
It depends on what you enjoy more :h: Chem is quite more challenging and if you don't need it as an entry requirement perhaps then pick welsh. You could try doing chem first and then switch it early on if you don't like it.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest