The Student Room Group

Nottingham or KCL for Politics & Economics?

I got an offer for Nottingham Politics and Economics course while I also got an offer for the KCL Political Economy course. I know Nottingham ranks better than King’s for economics but King’s ranks better than Nottingham for politics so I’m very confused what to choose right now.

Personally, I want to go to KCL because it’s in London where there will be more opportunities to network and all and I will be living next to family. However my family are saying it’s dumb to go to KCL when it’s ranked lower than Nottingham for economics so arghhdgh I really don’t know which to firm. So what do you guys think? Should I go to Nottingham or KCL? Is going to KCL over Nottingham going to somehow kill my career?
Original post by yesiahh
I got an offer for Nottingham Politics and Economics course while I also got an offer for the KCL Political Economy course. I know Nottingham ranks better than King’s for economics but King’s ranks better than Nottingham for politics so I’m very confused what to choose right now.

Personally, I want to go to KCL because it’s in London where there will be more opportunities to network and all and I will be living next to family. However my family are saying it’s dumb to go to KCL when it’s ranked lower than Nottingham for economics so arghhdgh I really don’t know which to firm. So what do you guys think? Should I go to Nottingham or KCL? Is going to KCL over Nottingham going to somehow kill my career?

Response edited, OP didn't mention that they want to work in finance

Original Response

(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Repeat after me:

Rankings do not matter
Rankings do not matter
Rankings do not matter
Rankings do not matter
Rankings do not matter
Rankings do not matter

Page 41 of this document:
https://www.cbi.org.uk/media/7020/12684_tess_-survey_2021.pdf

Now that we've established this, would you like to re-frame your current dilemma? :holmes:

Everyone else says that uni choice matters in the finance sector.
Original post by yesiahh

It does, but in your case it doesn't make much difference since neither uni is a target. Comparing rankings between KCL and Notts doesn't matter.

Which course modules do you prefer, and would you rather be at a campus uni or be in London? These are the 2 main factors
Original post by yesiahh

You didn't mention you are thinking about going into finance. :erm:
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
You didn't mention you are thinking about going into finance. :erm:

I am interested in going into finance so yeah uni reputation does matter a bit for it.
Original post by yesiahh
I am interested in going into finance so yeah uni reputation does matter a bit for it.

Well now that you mention you're interested in finance, my advice would be leaning towards Nottingham.
See this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4224570
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
Well now that you mention you're interested in finance, my advice would be leaning towards Nottingham.
See this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4224570

They’re both semi targets apparently but I’m more keen on King’s College for reasons such as distance to family, is Nottingham like 30% better than KCL or more like 10% better? I know it seems like I’m looking for excuses to not go to Nottingham but like I just really want to know if it would be dumb of me to firm KCL over Nottingham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending