The Student Room Group

Dentistry and Medicine for the future

Hi, I am currently in Year 12, and have been working towards building up a medical application so far, but am now considering dentistry as it seems like a better job (less study, typically more pay, better life balance etc.) but was looking to see if any doctors/dentists or anyone that knows about being these professions could give me a truly realistic view on which has the best long-term benefits. I've heard lots of benefits but also drawbacks for both at the moment, but since I'm not even in Uni yet, I was looking to see which one would be better 10,20,30 years from now.

The main reason I'm even considering dentistry, despite Medicine really appealing to me, is the constant stories of doctors being underpaid and being worked to the bone. Dentistry seems at the moment to be a lot better in terms of stress, and choosing hours etc. But who knows, the UK government could end up paying doctors more again and making it better to be a doctor. Could anyone give me truly realistic advice based on their own experiences and thoughts for the future?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending