The Student Room Group

What to pick for A levels

Hi, I’m in year 10 and I’m doing my mocks right now so obviously year 11 isn’t that far but I’m think about what to pick for A levels early.
I want to become a doctor obstetrician so I wanted to ask if I pick biology, chemistry and art will that lead me to the medical field to become an obstetrician, because I’m very bad at maths and can not pick maths.
Also what grade should I get to be able to pick biology, chemistry and art.
Thanks
Original post by Lima729
Hi, I’m in year 10 and I’m doing my mocks right now so obviously year 11 isn’t that far but I’m think about what to pick for A levels early.
I want to become a doctor obstetrician so I wanted to ask if I pick biology, chemistry and art will that lead me to the medical field to become an obstetrician, because I’m very bad at maths and can not pick maths.
Thanks

It depends on the entry requirements for the sixth form or colleges you apply to but for Biology and Chemistry you would need a 6 or 7 (although it is different if you do combined science). You should look at entry requirements for medicine as you may be required to take 3 sciences (either Physics or Maths) as well.
Original post by Lima729
Thanks

You can definitely get into medicine with those subjects. Make sure you do work experience relating to medicine to strengthen your application when the time comes.

At GCSE, you would need to check with prospective sixth forms you might go to. For example, my sixth form required a 6 in the science in question, a 7 in another science and a 6 in maths. Yours might be different so I wouldn’t know. But at A-Level, you need to get at least AAA but A*AA will give you more places you can apply to.
Reply 3
I did look at the requirements for medicine, commonly you need biology, chemistry, physics and maths but it depends where you go because some don’t need physics or maths.
Original post by JA03
You can definitely get into medicine with those subjects. Make sure you do work experience relating to medicine to strengthen your application when the time comes.

At GCSE, you would need to check with prospective sixth forms you might go to. For example, my sixth form required a 6 in the science in question, a 7 in another science and a 6 in maths. Yours might be different so I wouldn’t know. But at A-Level, you need to get at least AAA but A*AA will give you more places you can apply to.

Original post by flowersinmyhair
It depends on the entry requirements for the sixth form or colleges you apply to but for Biology and Chemistry you would need a 6 or 7 (although it is different if you do combined science). You should look at entry requirements for medicine as you may be required to take 3 sciences (either Physics or Maths) as well.
Reply 4
Original post by JA03

It’s great to hear I’m able to get into medicines with those subjects but i don’t really know how to look for good six forms (in Cambridge) and their requirements because I need one that’s okay with a low grade for maths (maybe like a pass) also maybe chemistry but if it not the case for chemistry it’s fine, my main problem is maths so do you have suggestions or something?
And btw what six form did you go to if you don’t mind me asking. thanks!
Original post by Lima729
It’s great to hear I’m able to get into medicines with those subjects but i don’t really know how to look for good six forms (in Cambridge) and their requirements because I need one that’s okay with a low grade for maths (maybe like a pass) also maybe chemistry but if it not the case for chemistry it’s fine, my main problem is maths so do you have suggestions or something?
And btw what six form did you go to if you don’t mind me asking. thanks!

I’m up in the North East. The sixth forms here are okay. Very limited. But I go to a good one - doesn’t mean I’m an A* student.

For maths. Join our mathematics study group! Tag me so I can provide a link as I’m not on my desktop right now. And I can be on the GCSE Maths study group to help you as well as many others.
Original post by Lima729
I did look at the requirements for medicine, commonly you need biology, chemistry, physics and maths but it depends where you go because some don’t need physics or maths.

Only Cambridge require Biology, Chemistry and Maths. All the others just require Biology and Chemistry and another subject. Some say you need just chemistry with a science based subject or biology and a science based subject but doing biology and chemistry give you an all access pass to almost every medical school. :smile:
Original post by Lima729
Thanks

Id double check unis requirements to see what they say about subject choices.
You have the 2 sciences though so you should be ok. But check a few just to be sure.
If you arent good at maths, how about physics?
Original post by Lima729
Thanks

heya!
If it helps, I would recommend doing some research on the profession using prospects and then using uniguide to look up courses :h: You should be fine with picking chem and bio but not maths for medicine! If it helps, you can also check out this medical comparison tool.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 9
Original post by Emma:-)
Id double check unis requirements to see what they say about subject choices.
You have the 2 sciences though so you should be ok. But check a few just to be sure.
If you arent good at maths, how about physics?

I’m looking for unis but it’s quite difficult.
Since physics contains maths Im not that good either🙂
Reply 10
Original post by JA03
Only Cambridge require Biology, Chemistry and Maths. All the others just require Biology and Chemistry and another subject. Some say you need just chemistry with a science based subject or biology and a science based subject but doing biology and chemistry give you an all access pass to almost every medical school. :smile:

Really? That’s good, But I just checked some unis and almost need maths 😢
Original post by Lima729

I think you might be confusing yourself here. Only Cambridge require 3 science A levels. Most unis require Chemistry. Lots will say chemistry and one other science. By this they usually mean either bio, physics or maths. The third can be whatever you like.

So taking chemistry and biology fulfils the two sciences. Your third can be art. No unis require maths for medicine in the UK
Original post by Lima729
Thanks

haven't read the otherw yet, but for reference I took bio geography and PE and landed an offer to study medicine next year so as long as you have bio or chem you should be fine.
Reply 13
Original post by Roses.Are.Red
I think you might be confusing yourself here. Only Cambridge require 3 science A levels. Most unis require Chemistry. Lots will say chemistry and one other science. By this they usually mean either bio, physics or maths. The third can be whatever you like.

So taking chemistry and biology fulfils the two sciences. Your third can be art. No unis require maths for medicine in the UK

Oh my really?? So happy to hear that thanks!!
Reply 14
That’s great thanks!

Original post by .765346777543
haven't read the otherw yet, but for reference I took bio geography and PE and landed an offer to study medicine next year so as long as you have bio or chem you should be fine.
Original post by Lima729

Here's the link to the GCSE Study Group master thread, you will find a thread to a study group for each subject here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7293926
Reply 16
Original post by JA03
Here's the link to the GCSE Study Group master thread, you will find a thread to a study group for each subject here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7293926

Thanks!
Original post by Lima729
Thanks!

No worries and if you need help in the maths part - do tag me and I'll muster up my GCSE maths knowledge!
Reply 18
Original post by JA03
No worries and if you need help in the maths part - do tag me and I'll muster up my GCSE maths knowledge!

Absolutely but I’m in year 10 right now and it’s just past paper questions for mocks, the real thing is next year so I’ll def be needing help at that time!

Quick Reply

Latest