The Student Room Group

Would my Uni accommodation allow me to move flat?

My flat at my university accommodation is awful. It sinks like sewage, there are silverfish and I have the most inconsiderate flat mates ever. I’ve been woken up at 3-5 am every day for the past two weeks. There’s four of them and we have no compatibility :frown: I keep missing out on uni because I can’t function due to no sleep and there’s seems to be no improvement even though I’m trying to compromise with them.

Do you think the accommodation would let me move into a different flat? Or would I have to find someone to move into the one I’m currently in even though it’s no fault of my own?
Pls help
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by TRG!
My flat at my university accommodation is awful. It sinks like sewage, there are silverfish and I have the most inconsiderate flat mates ever. I’ve been woken up at 3-5 am every day for the past two weeks. There’s four of them and we have no compatibility :frown: I keep missing out on uni because I can’t function due to no sleep and there’s seems to be no improvement even though I’m trying to compromise with them.

Do you think the accommodation would let me move into a different flat? Or would I have to find someone to move into the one I’m currently in even though it’s no fault of my own?
Pls help

You should absolutely contact your accommodation office about this. They might be able to arrange for you to move to a different flat. They might be able to something about the smell and the silverfish. They might be able to get your flatmates under control. But if you don't tell them about these issues then they can do nothing.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You should absolutely contact your accommodation office about this. They might be able to arrange for you to move to a different flat. They might be able to something about the smell and the silverfish. They might be able to get your flatmates under control. But if you don't tell them about these issues then they can do nothing.

Thankyou so much. I am going to talk to them today! I just hope my reasons are enough for them to move me
Original post by TRG!

Pls help

Hi there,
Agree with the other poster, it's important that you notify your accommodation team of any issues - otherwise they won't be aware or able to help! In terms of moving into another flat, this may depend on availability but it is something you could request. If the issues go unresolved and you cannot move into another flat, I'd advise speaking with your accommodation team about any other options.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by TRG!

Pls help

Hi there
I’m so sorry you have has this unfortunate start it sounds absolutely horrible! Which uni are you at? I would definitely get in touch with your accommodation as they have a duty to provide sufficient housing for you. I was in a similar position in my first year and felt really trapped.
I had to gather evidence.. so take lots of pictures of the accommodation, they asked for it when I complained
Read the small print of their accommodation, highlight elements that they said they would do that they have failed to.
I found it a really unpleasant thing trying to sort the accommodation as some accommodation isn’t linked to the uni so they are not held responsible. Be over prepared than under!
Pls tell me how it goes!
Hope this helped

Emily
Reply 5
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi there
I’m so sorry you have has this unfortunate start it sounds absolutely horrible! Which uni are you at? I would definitely get in touch with your accommodation as they have a duty to provide sufficient housing for you. I was in a similar position in my first year and felt really trapped.
I had to gather evidence.. so take lots of pictures of the accommodation, they asked for it when I complained
Read the small print of their accommodation, highlight elements that they said they would do that they have failed to.
I found it a really unpleasant thing trying to sort the accommodation as some accommodation isn’t linked to the uni so they are not held responsible. Be over prepared than under!
Pls tell me how it goes!
Hope this helped

Emily

Thankyou for replying to me! I have spoken to the accommodation and they have told me id only be able to swap if someone from the same accommodation wanted to swap with me…
I’ve messaged my flat mates and said politely that I don’t want to fall out of them or create any conflict but if they know anyone that wants to move into my flat I’d happily swap with them.

For the silverfish I put cut up lemons and put them in a squirty bottle with water , used it with hot water to scrub my bathroom floor google told me they don’t like citrus so I’m hoping that works xx
Reply 6
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi there,
Agree with the other poster, it's important that you notify your accommodation team of any issues - otherwise they won't be aware or able to help! In terms of moving into another flat, this may depend on availability but it is something you could request. If the issues go unresolved and you cannot move into another flat, I'd advise speaking with your accommodation team about any other options.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Thankyou for replying to me! I have spoken to the accommodation and they have told me id only be able to swap if someone from the same accommodation wanted to swap with me…
I’ve messaged my flat mates and said politely that I don’t want to fall out of them or create any conflict but if they know anyone that wants to move into my flat I’d happily swap with them.

My accommodation told me I could ring security and they’d come and tell my flat mates to be quiet without telling them I was the one that reported them and if they have to do it twice in the same night , they call the police. I’m hoping someone comes forward and wants to swap with me sooner rather than later

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending