The Student Room Group

B in EPQ - will it be a disadvantage to me?

I recently got my EPQ grade back and I am currently 1 mark off an A so I am hoping to get it reviewed through my school. I want to apply to Oxford and Russell Group Universities for Medicine and I was wondering if this would reflect badly on my application even if I get good predicted grades and high BMAT/UCAT scores.
Reply 1
Original post by cherryblossom27
I recently got my EPQ grade back and I am currently 1 mark off an A so I am hoping to get it reviewed through my school. I want to apply to Oxford and Russell Group Universities for Medicine and I was wondering if this would reflect badly on my application even if I get good predicted grades and high BMAT/UCAT scores.

Nope not really. Some universities like an EPQ because it uses independent learning (like uni) but a B is still good (especially 1 mark off an A) and they don't have much weighting, at least for the unis I know of.

Top Unis like Oxbridge don't even consider EPQs in applications though they accept they're good I believe, and the most other top Russell Group universities only do things like lower a grade (e.g. Sheffield and Southampton lower grade boundaries by 1 if you get an A or A* in EPQ, but they don't do anything else).

Especially for medicine, what is really important is just getting the grades, so to conclude it will barely effect your application. Many places also don't offer an EPQ, hence why they're not considered that much.

I hope that helps! Best of luck with your application and uni, I hope all goes well!
Original post by {Moss}
Nope not really. Some universities like an EPQ because it uses independent learning (like uni) but a B is still good (especially 1 mark off an A) and they don't have much weighting, at least for the unis I know of.

Top Unis like Oxbridge don't even consider EPQs in applications though they accept they're good I believe, and the most other top Russell Group universities only do things like lower a grade (e.g. Sheffield and Southampton lower grade boundaries by 1 if you get an A or A* in EPQ, but they don't do anything else).

Especially for medicine, what is really important is just getting the grades, so to conclude it will barely effect your application. Many places also don't offer an EPQ, hence why they're not considered that much.

I hope that helps! Best of luck with your application and uni, I hope all goes well!

Thank you so much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending