The Student Room Group

What are the most important factors when choosing a uni?

I want to study sociology, anywhere in England but I don't know how to narrow it down, I have already started to filter by price as well as student satisfaction but student satisfaction can sometimes completely differ from how high a uni is on league tables for sociology
Reply 1
Original post by ella.s16
I want to study sociology, anywhere in England but I don't know how to narrow it down, I have already started to filter by price as well as student satisfaction but student satisfaction can sometimes completely differ from how high a uni is on league tables for sociology

Look at how you’d like the city and also the course structure and modules in each uni, you can maybe speak to people at that uni through stuff like unibuddy I think it’s called. Also consider how the uni is in terms of jobs and employment, and if you have a preference in terms of campus or city university as well as grade requirements
I have to or would look for these things:

The living costs
Distance from my home
Costs for studying
Places around the city to earn money
Possibly places close to university for (paid) traineeships
Universities for the studying I have chosen
Universities they would accept my matriculation
Flats for living

(required!)

Places to go out or spend time
Universities close to my friends
Atmosphere of the city

(additional)

The first step is match your options with your predicted/achieved A-Level grades (or whatever entrance qualifications you are offering). Next, take a look at the specific modules available on each of the courses in which you are interested; which ones appeal to you the most? Then consider very carefully whereabouts in the country you want to be living for the next three years or so. London will be expensive, the north of England will generally be considerably cheaper.

Consider whether it will be important for you to be able to get home quickly (assuming you are a UK based student).Think about whether you want to be based in a large city/town or a smaller one and whether you favour a campus university or one located near a city centre. Finally, you might want to have regard to the status/reputation of each university but don't let this override other factors.
Original post by Fajjr
Look at how you’d like the city and also the course structure and modules in each uni, you can maybe speak to people at that uni through stuff like unibuddy I think it’s called. Also consider how the uni is in terms of jobs and employment, and if you have a preference in terms of campus or city university as well as grade requirements

The modules and structure of a studying is a thing that I would add to my additional list. Thanks for your reminder!

@ella.s16
I did a Sociology degree and had a wonderful time, it's a great subject to do, I'm sure you will do great.

I would definitely make the most of open days and not just go off the league table ranking of the University. For a more holistic view of the University you might want to check out their report with the QAA (a bit like an Ofsted Report) and their Teaching Excellence Framework Report - both readily available online.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Ranking
Original post by username001345
Ranking

By thinking about the other named factors here - my own ones included - that is the least in my view.

Look into the course at different unis. It could vary slightly by uni.
Look at locations as well. Where in the country would you prefer to live?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending