The Student Room Group

Uni Options

How on Earth does anyone decide what Uni to go to? Theres simply so so many so its all a bit overwhelming to think about especially when you need a couple options too (most people I know in my area just go to the ones closest)
Course and location usually.
Original post by capripisces
How on Earth does anyone decide what Uni to go to? Theres simply so so many so its all a bit overwhelming to think about especially when you need a couple options too (most people I know in my area just go to the ones closest)

Hey @capripisces

I remember this being overwhelming as well so definitely understand the struggle :biggrin:

Firstly you need to know what course you want to do! From there, these were the things I personally did:
- look at the rankings for the course to whittle it down a little bit and see where is 'good'/'bad'
- look at the individual universities from that shortlist
- note the entry requirements (can you meet them?)
- have a little look at their campus/accommodation
- shortlist a few to go to open days!

I then went to quite a few open days! I'd really recommend doing so because then you can start to pinpoint what you want and what you really like/dislike about certain universities and campuses.

I actually found my preferences completely changed once I went to open days, and the uni I then put as my first choice when applying for my undergrad degree was completely not what I thought I'd choose! For open days, definitely make sure to go to talks, look at the accommodation, look at the city and tour the campus to really try understand what it would be like to live there for 3/4 years!

Best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)

Hi @capripisces,

It definitely can be overwhelming when deciding where to spend the next few years of your life! I felt the same, as do many, many other students.

As it has been said, try and decide (or at least narrow down) a course to study. It might be useful to use the UCAS website to help you with your search. When doing this, it is important to look at the assessment type, module choices, entry requirements, and the facilities they have for your course, if you require them. From here, you can then use other factors to narrow your list down.

I personally looked at these factors:
- Academics, as explained above - the most important!
- Distance from home (for me this wasn't so important, but it is definitely something to consider).
- Accommodation (on-campus, off-campus, en-suite, prices, distance from campus, etc).
- Cost of living (accommodation, activities, food, utility, etc).
- The city (could you see yourself living here for X amount of years?)

I wouldn't recommend relying too much on course and university rankings, but you can definitely use this as a rough guide. If possible, it might be useful to attend a few open days to get a better feel for the university.

I hope this helps and best of luck!
Isabella
(edited 7 months ago)

Hey,

Glad to hear you're thinking about university!

Initially, most people tend to start their research based off of what course they want to study. It's great to look at league tables, compare modules and content from different universities to see what curriculum seems the best. Although, do not get too caught up in league tables!

Once you have a few in mind, I would get yourself booked onto an open day as visiting a university in person helps to make your mind up! Seeing the campus and its facilities, speaking to academics and current students is a great way to get a feel of the university in general. You will know when a certain university is for you, as you get that feeling!

Obviously, cost, distance, and location are big contributors in the decision making process, so definitely take those factors into consideration.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate

i thought about where i want to live mostly. what vibe would you thrive in? for me that was somewhere with old buildings so it didn’t have the vibe of a huge scary city, and also felt a bit more homely. then if you know what course you want, go onto ucas and type it in. it turned out only three unis did the course i had found the most appealing.

Hi there @capripisces,

It's great to hear that you are looking to apply for university. Please know that the way you are feeling is completely understandable and normal, choosing which university to go to can be overwhelming and is a big step. First I'd have a think about the course you are interested in studying, if you aren't sure yet, make a note of what subjects you currently enjoy and have a look online to find courses that interest you.

Once you have a course in mind, have a look on some universities websites to view their course information and explore what they have to offer. Have a think about whether you want to go to a city university, how far you want to be from home and if you would like to live in student accomodation or commute. Once you have a selection of universities in mind, I'd highly recommend attending some open days. This will be the best opportunity to meet with and ask questions to course tutors and view accomodation options. We have an Open day coming up on the 18 November were we offer student led campus tours that allow visitors to get a feel for what life could be like here.

Like others have said, I wouldn't rely on picking a university based just on rankings, it's important to choose a university where you will be happy to be for the next stage of your life.

I wish you all the best and if you have any questions just let me know. 😊
Sarah

Hey there @capripisces !

I can only answer for myself but things I was looking for when choosing universities were:

Entry Requirements: Are you choosing a wide range of entry requirements for your shortlist? For example, my sixth form college recommended to us that we choose 2 aspirational universities, 2 safe universities and 1 'lower' university to ensure we had a range of choices that would mean we weren't left disappointed if things didn't go our way.

Location: How are the travel links? Would it be easy for you to get home on a weekend if you felt homesick? Is there ways to get round the city itself for a cheap price?

Campus: What does the campus look like? Is it easy to find your way around and do the amenities look worth it to you? How close is it to your chosen accommodation?

Accommodation: Are there options for your chosen budget that you could see yourself living in? Are they relatively close to the uni and other things you may need such as supermarkets, pharmacies etc?

Social Aspects: Does this university have a good nightlife? Is there lots of opportunities to go out and do things at your student union? Could you see yourself finding a lot of things to do with your spare time in that place?

Course: Does the course have a high percentage of graduates in relevant employment within the first year? Does the course have relevant modules to you in every year of study that you'd enjoy? For me personally I didn't want to have any exams so check how your chosen courses are assessed to see if they suit you.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi,

Deciding which university to attend is such an exciting but nerve-wracking time in your life! I know I found it super stressful trying to narrow it down to my top 5.

I found that these top things helped me make my decision

University rankings - where is your university ranked overall and for your course? Also where is it ranked for employability for post-graduates?

Did you feel at home at any university? Did you attend any open days and think, 'yes this is where I want to live for the next 3 years'

Has the university got good facilities such as nursing courses having good simulation labs, science subjects having modern, high-quality labs and facilities

Do they provide more than just academic support? Do they provide mental health and wellbeing support and financial support?

If needed do they provide feasible student accommodation?

If possible try and speak to some current students at open days or on online platforms such as UniBuddy to hear some first-hand experience of students at the university.

I hope this is of some assistance!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending