The Student Room Group

Conversation Sparkers

It's tough to start a new conversation with somebody you've never spoken to before. However, breaking down these barriers is important if you want to make friends and attain positive relationships. But I wonder what people would say to someone they want to start a friendship with. Some say you should talk about the weather or a common interest, but if that common interest isn't apparent, how do you break the ice? My point is, there are some nice people out there and you feel you'd get on with them were it not for the fears you have regarding how they'd react to you coming forward.

My basic question is how would you start a conversation with someone in-person you've never met before?
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
It's tough to start a new conversation with somebody you've never spoken to before. However, breaking down these barriers is important if you want to make friends and attain positive relationships. But I wonder what people would say to someone they want to start a friendship with. Some say you should talk about the weather or a common interest, but if that common interest isn't apparent, how do you break the ice? My point is, there are some nice people out there and you feel you'd get on with them were it not for the fears you have regarding how they'd react to you coming forward.

My basic question is how would you start a conversation with someone in-person you've never met before?

Hey,
This is actually a very good question that I never really asked myself because I was in fear of awkwardness. I mean you won't go to the person and start with a "Hi, I love books, do you like books?". But the thing is if you don't do the first step there is very little chance that you get someone's attention. Most of the friends I made were probably accidental, I wasn't specifically looking for friends, it just happened without me desiring for it.
For a person who has no exterior contacts with that person whether it's eye contact or just a small greetings I think the first step is to develop those. Saying hi to a person with no specific interest in a discussion or just smiling to them, day by day is what could build a friendship by distance.
Next step could be complements. Once you start to know this person and manage to make small talk I think compliments are what could get you on a base of discussion. For example a positive remark on someone's dress and then asking where they bought it...
I think the most important thing is not to rush it and make it quick and simple.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending