The Student Room Group

Viva Voce Oral Presentation

Hi everyone,
Have a viva coming up within 2 weeks, and nervous about what they'll ask.
Couldn't find much info./guide on viva oral presentations for defense of dissertation. Anyone know what kind of things they usually ask? And are we allowed to bring notes?

And any other tips would be appreciated.
Mine is Organic Chemistry. But any help would be great.

Thank you
Reply 1
Is this for a PhD?
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
Is this for a PhD?

Nope its for BSc
Reply 3
First off, check all the module paperwork for guidance notes.

Then a few days beforehand, do a really thorough read through. Note any typos and missed references. Note key sections + page numbers. Make sure you come across as knowing your thesis really well.

It can be difficult to predict questions. Your supervisor should be able to advise. Any significant weaknesses in the work are likely to be mentioned, so if you can address those sensibly if asked, that's a good thing.

One if the purposes of a viva is to establish that the work is your own, so make sure you are all over it.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by cheadle
First off, check all the module paperwork for guidance notes.

Then a few days beforehand, do a really thorough read through. Note any typos and missed references. Note key sections + page numbers. Make sure you come across as knowing your thesis really well.

It can be difficult to predict questions. Your supervisor should be able to advise. Any significant weaknesses in the work are likely to be mentioned, so if you can address those sensibly if asked, that's a good thing.

One if the purposes of a viva is to establish that the work is your own, so make sure you are all over it.

Thank you for your advice :smile:
Also would it be okay to bring any notes with me? Theres going to be 3 academics during the presentation.
Reply 5
I can't answer the question about taking notes in. I suspect you can but you should ask the person who is organising the vivas.
What notes will you be taking in? Why not a copy of the thesis with post-it notes on relevant pages?

Are you doing a presentation to the 3 academics?
Reply 6
Original post by cheadle
I can't answer the question about taking notes in. I suspect you can but you should ask the person who is organising the vivas.
What notes will you be taking in? Why not a copy of the thesis with post-it notes on relevant pages?

Are you doing a presentation to the 3 academics?

Okay thanks! That's a good idea.
Yep, 3 academics including my supervisor.
Reply 7
OK so limit the number of slides if you're doing a powerpoint. Rehearse until you are confident with the flow of points and to make sure you are adhering to any time limits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending