The Student Room Group

What’s the difference between pretty and quite pretty?

What’s the difference between pretty and quite pretty
'pretty' is only 1 word, 'quite pretty' is 2.
Reply 2
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic
'pretty' is only 1 word, 'quite pretty' is 2.

I’m pretty sure that pretty and quite pretty has 2 different meanings
Reply 3
Original post by jae jae

The difference is significant...
Reply 4
Original post by tanstaafiq
The difference is significant...

Elaborate?
Original post by jae jae
I’m pretty sure that pretty and quite pretty has 2 different meanings

What do you think the difference in meaning is?
Reply 6
Original post by jae jae

Hi!

Well the first one refers to something you look at and instantly link it to beauty, attractiveness and eye-candy. The other is more complex. Like a bounce before an insult but not exactly. The word "quite" adds a sort of limitation to the phrase, as if you are pretty but it was not expected and only realised because someone really looked at you. Or you're pretty but to a medium extent. Not ugly, just less prettier than pretty.

I apologise if I have confused you further but you can clearly see that my GCSE English analysis revision is getting to my head.

My answer is just the way I perceive it .
-W
I agree with the above poster.

Pretty is decisive. Something / someone is pretty, it's a fact, no doubt about it.

Quite pretty is only somewhat pretty. A little bit pretty. Better than plain, but it's not decisive.

"Sally is pretty". Absolute fact, you think she's pretty and have never doubted it.

"Sally is quite pretty". Well she's better than plain, but she's not a knockout. She scrubs up quite well though, but if she's wearing something a bit scruffier you might not realise that she's not too bad looking.

Quick Reply

Latest