The Student Room Group

in my 2 year of adult nursing at uni but I’m not enjoying, thinking of paramedic

I’m currently studying my 2nd year of adult nursing at uni but I’m not enjoying at all, I dread the placements as I’ve had bad experiences and can never seem to enjoy them. I’ve been thinking of maybe changing courses to paramedic science or maybe dropping out and taking an apprenticeship route to become a paramedic as I learn better clinically over academically.

I’m really struggling to decide as I don’t want to throw away the 2 years at university that I’ve done, and people just keep pushing me and trying to persuade me to finish my course.

I kind of just need some advice and maybe find some other people that have been through the same thing. Or if anyone knows the best way to go about it?
Original post by Millie0906
I’m currently studying my 2nd year of adult nursing at uni but I’m not enjoying at all, I dread the placements as I’ve had bad experiences and can never seem to enjoy them. I’ve been thinking of maybe changing courses to paramedic science or maybe dropping out and taking an apprenticeship route to become a paramedic as I learn better clinically over academically.

I’m really struggling to decide as I don’t want to throw away the 2 years at university that I’ve done, and people just keep pushing me and trying to persuade me to finish my course.

I kind of just need some advice and maybe find some other people that have been through the same thing. Or if anyone knows the best way to go about it?

Hello @Millie0906

I hope you're well. This sounds like such a hard decision to make to be honest; I would explore more about why you don't enjoy placement, is it just the bad experiences you have had or the roles & responsibilities of adult nursing? If it is the duties of becoming an adult nurse, I would advise you to consider dropping out as this is not something that can necessarily be changed. If it is not enjoying the placement because of staff members on the ward, or treatment you have faced I would say to try and hang in there! You can always speak to university if you've been in hard situations, or you have not had a pleasant experience.

If you feel you have more of a passion for paramedic science, I'd say just go for it! It is best to spend time doing something that you actually enjoy. Perhaps apprenticeship would be a better route for you, as you've already done 2 years of university would be nice to have a break earn a some money while studying :smile:

I hope this helps. Make whatever decision is best for you, don't worry about what other people say!

Kind regards
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 2
I think it’s more the actual placement, the people I’m currently on placement with are amazing and couldn’t be any nicer to me. I think it’s the repetitiveness and being in the same hospital all the time. I don’t really enjoy working on wards at all, which I think is challenging as most graduated nurses have to start off in a ward. This is why I’ve been thinking of paramedic as your more “out and about”. I love helping and caring for people and this is something I want to include in my future career.

I’m just struggling to make a decision as I feel like it’s a big one to make.

If I was to finish my second year now, would I be able to come back and complete my degree any time in the future? :smile:
Reply 3

I feel like I was in the same position purely based off assumption I’m going with most of your placements are in a hospital 12 hour shifts? I learnt a lot in those placements and most of my skills come from them but it wasn’t something I personally enjoyed, a lot of universities now have a community nursing pathway and I chose to ask for my trust to be changed to a community one and I’m back to loving nursing. Don’t know whether this would be something you’re interested in but community nursing is really diverse you could get into gp nursing, schools, case managing, district so many things but you mentioned Paramedics and I would say Rapid Response in community is similar to that I would say have chat with your mentor at university to see if this could be an option for you
I think it’s more the actual placement, the people I’m currently on placement with are amazing and couldn’t be any nicer to me. I think it’s the repetitiveness and being in the same hospital all the time. I don’t really enjoy working on wards at all, which I think is challenging as most graduated nurses have to start off in a ward. This is why I’ve been thinking of paramedic as your more “out and about”. I love helping and caring for people and this is something I want to include in my future career.

If I was to finish my second year now, would I be able to come back and complete my degree any time in the future? :smile:

I'm not aware of any uni that allows your to take time away from a course to study a different one. I think especially if you're thinking of returning to nursing after a few years, you'll have to start from scratch (or ive heard of someone who was allowed to return to the start of year 2, but i believe they only took a 1 half year break). Its probably best to check with your university for a more solid answer.

Hello again @Millie0906

Oh I understand, yes that's fair play, nursing most probably isn't for you if you don't like the wards and repetitive things. Paramedic would be way more suited for you! It is a really big decision; I am not sure you would be able to complete your second year now and return at another time - it is best to have a chat with your course leader about this! If you do think you would potentially want to finish the degree at another time, I would say to just continue as your last year will fly by :smile:

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending