The Student Room Group

Do you really need to make revision notes?

So basically, I'm in year 10 rn and I have mocks coming up which I'm kinda struggling to revise for. I generally get good grades (mostly 8s and 9s, and sometimes a 7 here and there) and I just wanted to know if revision notes are really necessary?

I usually revise by watching videos on the topics I don't understand and then doing practice questions. If I need notes, I usually just use the ones online or my class notes, and it's been getting me good grades so far.

I don't really ever use/make revision notes to revise from because I don't think they help me that much tbh, but all my friends do and most people tell you to make revision notes in y10 to use in y11, so I was wondering if I could get by without them?
Reply 1
Original post by TrulyDevious1590
So basically, I'm in year 10 rn and I have mocks coming up which I'm kinda struggling to revise for. I generally get good grades (mostly 8s and 9s, and sometimes a 7 here and there) and I just wanted to know if revision notes are really necessary?

I usually revise by watching videos on the topics I don't understand and then doing practice questions. If I need notes, I usually just use the ones online or my class notes, and it's been getting me good grades so far.

I don't really ever use/make revision notes to revise from because I don't think they help me that much tbh, but all my friends do and most people tell you to make revision notes in y10 to use in y11, so I was wondering if I could get by without them?

I’m at college (Y12) and I never used notes or flash cards, but looking back they are a good source of revision, I’ve been told to only make flash cards and note things I make small mistakes on, so it’s not a waste of time going over and writing already known information.
If watching videos and exam questions is the best way for you to revise, and that seems to be working, continue with that. :smile:
I only used past paper questions at GCSE and came out with all 8s, so I’m sure you’ll do great in your mocks and final exams
Reply 2
Hello!! im in year 12 and i also didn't find making notes helpful and i did just as you did, by taking notes from online or class however this is all passive and nothing really sticks in your head the best way to make use of it is by making practise questions on those notes you made or doing the blurting method (literally my go to revision technique i still use it).
i suggest that you make flashcards now in year 10 because your year 11 self will thank you very much because flashcards are great ways to jog your memory right before the exam!!!
all the best with your mocks <3
Original post by Yamahama
I’m at college (Y12) and I never used notes or flash cards, but looking back they are a good source of revision, I’ve been told to only make flash cards and note things I make small mistakes on, so it’s not a waste of time going over and writing already known information.
If watching videos and exam questions is the best way for you to revise, and that seems to be working, continue with that. :smile:
I only used past paper questions at GCSE and came out with all 8s, so I’m sure you’ll do great in your mocks and final exams

Thank you SO MUCH this makes me feel so much better!!
Original post by sanaig
Hello!! im in year 12 and i also didn't find making notes helpful and i did just as you did, by taking notes from online or class however this is all passive and nothing really sticks in your head the best way to make use of it is by making practise questions on those notes you made or doing the blurting method (literally my go to revision technique i still use it).
i suggest that you make flashcards now in year 10 because your year 11 self will thank you very much because flashcards are great ways to jog your memory right before the exam!!!
all the best with your mocks <3

Thank you soooo muchhh this was so helpful- I just tried blurting and it is indeed very very useful! You're a lifesaver.

Hi, making notes was never something I would actually use for revision. However for science, I would always condense an entire topic onto one A4 page and use the spec and mark schemes from past papers to write it down. But, my main revision method is practice papers, you can 100% get by without notes. Good luck with your exams!
Reply 6

Heya!

Every person has a unique way to revise, so if note taking revision notes works for you then that's fine :h: It's important to find a study method that suits you best. You might want to try different approaches as well, such as mind maps, flashcards, or summarising key points in your own words, to see what works best for you.

I hope this helps!
MIlena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 7
Thank you soooo muchhh this was so helpful- I just tried blurting and it is indeed very very useful! You're a lifesaver.

no worries !!

Quick Reply

Latest