The Student Room Group

Advice for note taking a-level English literature?

I’m in y12 and doing English, my class notes are a disorganised mess and I don’t feel that they include everything I need in them. I have 2 teachers, each doing different texts at the moment - Death of a Salesman and King Lear. They just go through the texts in class, picking up from where we left in the previous lesson and with no clear guidance as to what we need to know. They just talk at us, don’t write anything on the board, and I find it really had to keep up or understand what’s going on. I think I am behind. Can someone please me some advice on how to take quality notes in/outside of class and how I should be reviewing each lesson? Does anyone have any recommended ways of how they structured their notes/revsion resources? Thank you
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
hey, I do English too and one thing that always helps me is making chapter summaries bc it makes it easier for you when you have to revise the text. Also, if you're struggling to make notes, outside of skl, watch youtube videos and use websites which recap and analyse the text for you e.g. for me, litcharts, sparknotes and york notes really helps when i don't understand a particular part of the book. when revising, I'd advise making your notes on characters and themes and then finding examples of quotes and techniques to link it to for each. My teachers call them PEC points. so for each theme/character, you could have 4 or 5 (p stands for point, e is evidence and c is context). I hope that helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest