The Student Room Group

when should I start revising for a levels?

giys, please help! when do I start revising for a levels? and also, any tips and tricks to help balance learning year 12 + year 13 content as well as doing hw and consolidation etc! thanks :smile:
Download a level Flashcards under you exam board from anki web and use on anki.Use past papers from pmt and textbook..Anki has active recall built in .I prefer it over quizlet.
What exam board are u
Reply 3
hi! i personally only started ‘proper’ revision in April, but I was doing some semi-regular reviews of content (particularly Y12 content) all through Y13!

I personally did these reviews through my decision to completely rewrite all of my Y12 notes to make them more concise and prioritise what I really needed to know (as I had a bad habit of just writing down everything from the textbook, which you don’t always need!). I also created revision materials for any new Y13 content at periodic intervals. So for example we’d have the lesson on a topic and I’d make some notes in that class, then around a week later I’d go through and make notes on any textbook/revision guide material on that topic, then a while after that (honestly anywhere from 2-4 weeks afterwards) and ‘clean up’ my notes to make them more concise! Then even further after that, I’d make flashcards or some other types of revision material so I could constantly be refreshing my memory on a topic!

Honestly lots of Y12 topics are the ‘simpler’ ones in your subject (ofc this is subjective, but there’s a reason teachers tend to teach them first, and reasons they’re included in AS Levels as opposed to other topics!) so I found I needed to review them less than some of my more complex Y13 topics.

Tldr; at this stage in the year I wouldn’t be worried about cracking down to revise constantly, review your Y12 content periodically and keep up with creating all your revision materials, but don’t stress so much that you forget about your new content!! You have another 7 months at least until your exams, it’ll fly by but let yourself breathe for now.
Original post by superwoman2345
What exam board are u

AQA for all subjects - psychology, sociology and spanish
Original post by rwnsl
hi! i personally only started ‘proper’ revision in April, but I was doing some semi-regular reviews of content (particularly Y12 content) all through Y13!

I personally did these reviews through my decision to completely rewrite all of my Y12 notes to make them more concise and prioritise what I really needed to know (as I had a bad habit of just writing down everything from the textbook, which you don’t always need!). I also created revision materials for any new Y13 content at periodic intervals. So for example we’d have the lesson on a topic and I’d make some notes in that class, then around a week later I’d go through and make notes on any textbook/revision guide material on that topic, then a while after that (honestly anywhere from 2-4 weeks afterwards) and ‘clean up’ my notes to make them more concise! Then even further after that, I’d make flashcards or some other types of revision material so I could constantly be refreshing my memory on a topic!

Honestly lots of Y12 topics are the ‘simpler’ ones in your subject (ofc this is subjective, but there’s a reason teachers tend to teach them first, and reasons they’re included in AS Levels as opposed to other topics!) so I found I needed to review them less than some of my more complex Y13 topics.

Tldr; at this stage in the year I wouldn’t be worried about cracking down to revise constantly, review your Y12 content periodically and keep up with creating all your revision materials, but don’t stress so much that you forget about your new content!! You have another 7 months at least until your exams, it’ll fly by but let yourself breathe for now.

thank you! your response was very nice!
Original post by emm4nuella
giys, please help! when do I start revising for a levels? and also, any tips and tricks to help balance learning year 12 + year 13 content as well as doing hw and consolidation etc! thanks :smile:

Hey :smile:

im about to go to uni but I remember doing my a levels like it was yesterday. For me I kind of revised as I went along so every week just do an hour or so where you can going over key terms, ideas theories etc so that you don’t forget things you learnt at the beginning of your course and also have a bit less to do at the end. I would say around March/April time I was doing a proper revision timetable as that’s when homework pretty much stopped so I could focus all my time on revision about classes of course.

In terms of balancing year 12 and 13 content it kind of depends how far through your courses you are. But personally I would say in your revision dedicate maybe Saturday afternoon to year 12 revision and Sunday morning to year 13 or something like that. Then you are keeping up with both with a dedicated time slot to keep them separate.

i studied French, English language, computer science and economics if you want any specific help or tips.

best of luck and I hope that helped :smile:
I would be doing a little bit of revision often to make sure you know older content. Making revision resources as you go makes this a lot easier. I use StudySmarter to revise which has spaced repetition built into it which I find very useful.
Original post by emm4nuella
AQA for all subjects - psychology, sociology and spanish

For psychology make 16 marker essay plans for each topic and get them marked by your teacher then use pdf to anki for Flashcards and memorisation
I only did gsce French but learning how to form all the tenses in like a formula and sticking it on your wall will really help you with speaking and writing.E.g at GCSE I learnt how to form 6 tenses then I could write really well and speak well without memorising paragraphs.

Quick Reply

Latest