The Student Room Group

Degree apprenticeships vs. Uni

Dear current degree apprentices (especially those in tech), do you regret not going to uni? Do you feel as if your missing out or not?
Original post by 3vellyyn
Dear current degree apprentices (especially those in tech), do you regret not going to uni? Do you feel as if your missing out or not?
Hi there,

I didn't take a degree apprenticeship, but I did take a gap year for 3 years so can kind of give you an answer as to my experiences on missing out on Uni.

Generally, I didn't feel like I missed out. I've learnt so much by working, meeting new people and building connections in the sector I want to go into that I don't feel I've missed out at all. Perhaps on the social side, making friends, the Uni lifestyle, sharing accommodation etc - yes, but this hasn't really limited me. I still have friends, you just make them at work instead.

Plus not having student loans is always nice - not sure how different a degree apprenticeship is on that front seeing as you're paid whilst you learn.
Reply 2
Original post by Yipiyap_EthanP
Hi there,
I didn't take a degree apprenticeship, but I did take a gap year for 3 years so can kind of give you an answer as to my experiences on missing out on Uni.
Generally, I didn't feel like I missed out. I've learnt so much by working, meeting new people and building connections in the sector I want to go into that I don't feel I've missed out at all. Perhaps on the social side, making friends, the Uni lifestyle, sharing accommodation etc - yes, but this hasn't really limited me. I still have friends, you just make them at work instead.
Plus not having student loans is always nice - not sure how different a degree apprenticeship is on that front seeing as you're paid whilst you learn.
Thank you! I think I am leaning towards an apprenticeship and I guess dealing with FOMO is a part of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending