The Student Room Group

Very slim but not fit?

My BMI is only 17.5 and so I look very slim - not super bony, but very thin - but I'm actually very unfit. For example, I can't run for more than a minute or maybe two without starting to walk.

I've been stressed for the past 6 months or so I've lost weight, almost a stone.

Do I need to gain weight to become fitter/stronger?
Reply 1
Yes
Reply 2
I am the same. Want to start exercising and build some muscles
Reply 3
Original post by miranda96
My BMI is only 17.5 and so I look very slim - not super bony, but very thin - but I'm actually very unfit. For example, I can't run for more than a minute or maybe two without starting to walk.

I've been stressed for the past 6 months or so I've lost weight, almost a stone.

Gaining weight can certainly help in improving your fitness and strength. To achieve this, you'll want to prioritize a caloric surplus alongside a balanced nutrition plan. Pair this with a structured exercise regimen, and you'll not only gain weight but also enhance your overall fitness. Remember, it's not just about adding pounds but building a stronger and healthier version of yourself. Wishing you all the best on your journey!

How old are you?
Were you trying to lose weight? Did you notice your diet changing at all?
Is your body showing any other symptoms?

This might be worth popping to the GP about
Reply 5

Being skinny does not automatically make someone fit, nor does it mean that someone is healthy.

"Physical fitness is one’s ability to execute daily activities with optimal performance, endurance, and strength with the management of disease, fatigue, and stress and reduced sedentary behaviour" (https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-1-4419-1005-9_1167)

To become more fit, you'll need to improve your stamina and strength, in terms of your muscles and your cardiorespiratory system. Essentially, to do this, you start small and gradually build up, at a level where you're pushing yourself a bit, but not so much that you're completely exhausted all the time.
e.g. for running: try running for a minute, walk for a minute, and repeat 5-10 times. As this gets easier, increase the length of time you are running, and decrease the length of time you are walking. You could also do similar with lamp posts (e.g. run the distance between 2 lamp posts, then walk, etc.), and also mix up the speed, hills, etc. Make sure you have proper running shoes, have warmed up suitably, are eating and drinking enough throughout the day, and don't go too hard too fast build up gradually, and have rest days, otherwise you'll end up injured. Also mix things up with walking (hills/stairs in particular get your heart pumping, but also just a nice walk along the canal or something is always lovely), cycling, swimming etc., whatever makes you happy and feel good.

Might be a good idea to speak to a GP regarding your weight, just to check if everything's ok.

I personally have found that I am at my strongest and fittest now, since gaining a decent amount of weight. I'm also happier, not cold all the time (and less bothered by the cold), and overall healthier.
Eat more (so that energy intake exceeds energy output), and be mindful of how much exercise you're doing (i.e. if you increase your exercise, make sure you eat more) this is at a general sense, so don't restrict your intake on days you move less. Your body needs fuel.

Anyways, speak to a GP, try to gain some weight, and see where things go from there :smile:
Reply 6

It is possible that you need to gain weight to become fitter and stronger. However, it is also possible that you can become fitter and stronger without gaining weight. It really depends on your individual body composition and fitness goals.

If you are currently very thin and not very fit, then it is likely that you have a low muscle mass. Muscle mass is important for fitness and strength, so if you want to become fitter and stronger, you will need to build muscle mass. This can be done by lifting weights or doing other resistance training exercises.

You can also improve your fitness by doing cardio exercises, such as running, swimming, or biking. Cardio exercises help to improve your cardiovascular health and endurance.

If you are not sure whether you need to gain weight, it is a good idea to talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian. They can help you assess your individual needs and develop a plan to improve your fitness and health.

Here are some tips for gaining weight and becoming fitter:

Eat a healthy diet that includes plenty of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats.
Lift weights or do other resistance training exercises 3-4 times per week.
Do cardio exercises 3-5 times per week.
Get enough sleep.
Manage stress.
It is important to be patient and consistent with your efforts. It takes time to build muscle mass and improve your fitness. But if you are willing to work hard, you will see results.
i'm not sure if you need to gain weight to become fitter or stronger

to become fitter or stronger, i would do exercises that my body can tolerate then increase the intensity :smile:
Reply 8
You don't necessarily need to gain weight to become fitter or stronger. In fact, if you're overweight or obese, losing weight can actually help you become fitter and stronger.

There are two main ways to become fitter or stronger:

Increase muscle mass. This can be done by lifting weights or doing other resistance training exercises. When you lift weights, you break down your muscles. Your body then repairs these muscles, making them stronger and bigger.
Improve cardiovascular fitness. This can be done by doing cardio exercises, such as running, swimming, or biking. Cardio exercises help to improve your heart and lungs, making it easier for you to breathe and exercise.
If you're not sure where to start, it's a good idea to talk to a personal trainer or fitness instructor. They can help you create a safe and effective exercise program that meets your individual needs.

I feel you can make video recording of your exercises and fitness, here are a few reasons:
It can help you track your progress. By recording your workouts, you can see how you're doing over time and make adjustments to your program as needed.
It can help you stay motivated. When you see yourself improving, it can be a great motivator to keep going.
It can help you share your progress with others. If you're working out with friends or family, you can share your videos with each other to stay motivated and support each other.
It can be used for educational purposes. If you're teaching others about fitness, you can use your videos to demonstrate exercises or techniques.
So, if you're serious about getting fitter or stronger, I encourage you to start recording your workouts. It's a great way to track your progress, stay motivated, and share your journey with others.

Here are some tips for using video editing to make records of your exercise and fitness:

If you're serious about getting fitter or stronger, I encourage you to start recording your workouts and editing them with the alight motion app.. It's a great way to track your progress, stay motivated, and share your journey with others.

Keep your videos short and concise. No one wants to watch a 30-minute video of someone working out. Aim for videos that are 5-10 minutes long.
Use clear and concise titles and descriptions. This will help people find your videos when they're searching for fitness content.
Use relevant tags. Tags are words or phrases that people use to search for videos on YouTube and other platforms. When you use relevant tags, your videos will be more likely to show up in search results.
Edit your videos to highlight your progress. This could include adding text, music, or transitions.
Share your videos on social media. This is a great way to connect with other fitness enthusiasts and get feedback on your workouts.

Original post by beautifulworld
i'm not sure if you need to gain weight to become fitter or stronger

to become fitter or stronger, i would do exercises that my body can tolerate then increase the intensity :smile:
Reply 9
it's not very good if you seem smart not fit you need to get proper diet and workout for your fitness..
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Being skinny does not automatically make someone fit, nor does it mean that someone is healthy.

"Physical fitness is one’s ability to execute daily activities with optimal performance, endurance, and strength with the management of disease, fatigue, and stress and reduced sedentary behaviour" (https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-1-4419-1005-9_1167)

To become more fit, you'll need to improve your stamina and strength, in terms of your muscles and your cardiorespiratory system. Essentially, to do this, you start small and gradually build up, at a level where you're pushing yourself a bit, but not so much that you're completely exhausted all the time.
e.g. for running: try running for a minute, walk for a minute, and repeat 5-10 times. As this gets easier, increase the length of time you are running, and decrease the length of time you are walking. You could also do similar with lamp posts (e.g. run the distance between 2 lamp posts, then walk, etc.), and also mix up the speed, hills, etc. Make sure you have proper running shoes, have warmed up suitably, are eating and drinking enough throughout the day, and don't go too hard too fast build up gradually, and have rest days, otherwise you'll end up injured. Also mix things up with walking (hills/stairs in particular get your heart pumping, but also just a nice walk along the canal or something is always lovely), cycling, swimming etc., whatever makes you happy and feel good.

Might be a good idea to speak to a GP regarding your weight, just to check if everything's ok.

I personally have found that I am at my strongest and fittest now, since gaining a decent amount of weight. I'm also happier, not cold all the time (and less bothered by the cold), and overall healthier.
Eat more (so that energy intake exceeds energy output), and be mindful of how much exercise you're doing (i.e. if you increase your exercise, make sure you eat more) this is at a general sense, so don't restrict your intake on days you move less. Your body needs fuel.

Anyways, speak to a GP, try to gain some weight, and see where things go from there :smile:

Excellent reply

Quick Reply

Latest