The Student Room Group

lilly's premed (mini-)blog

‧₊˚🖇️ ₊˚🎧⊹♡

📓 basic info: international (and homeschooled) student, finally in Y13 taking all three sciences and psychology at AL (help me).

📓 interests:

Spoiler

୨୧ current grades!

Spoiler

୨୧ unis of choice (UPDATED as of 27.08.23):

Spoiler

୨୧ AUGUST TO-DO:

Spoiler

I've decided to track my UCAT (and eventually BMAT) study sessions on here as well!!
key symbols:
= goal for the day
= completed goal
﹢= incomplete goal
view my initial and final score here:

Spoiler

wishing everyone the best of luck for this year's application cycle!! :h:

/> 
|  _ _|
/` ミ_xノ
/     |
/  ヽ  
│  | | |
/ ̄|   | | |
( ̄ヽ__ヽ_)__)
\二)

©itz_lilly 2023
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

ahh the BSMS virtual work experience was very good, i hope you enjoy it

good luck on your a levels and ucat/bmat!!
thank you so much!!
8/5/23 - completed GI webinar today + pre-webinar research + DNA and gene expression - bio (including topical paper), feeling productive, supposed to feel tired but can't sleep, hopefully I can wake up early tmrw T_T

logging off...
13/5/23 - completed IELTS prep today, must work on reading section, it's going to be the end of me lol. going to speed run through UCAT questions and then do one module of MOOC and let's see if I have enough time to watch another webinar tonight :s-smilie: good luck with your exams/schoolwork everyone!!
Will be watching eagerly, looking forward to the updates!
Original post by _Rusty_

thank you!!
Reply 7
Original post by _Rusty_

Hai I just wanted to give a little bit of advice - I understand that it might be difficult to come across work experience, especially as an international student no less, with fewer connections in the UK, but please don't do those med courses (such as premed projects or InvestIN) unless you absolutely haven't got anything to write about, you're effectively burning 10k (if you do the residences as well I think), and wasting 2 weeks of your life where the only really proper medical "experience" being watching some surgery live on a TV screen or something. Try and get some proper medical experience at your local NHS trust (most typically do), and try to perhaps contact your sixth form GP to see if they can get you some work experience.

IELTS is a pretty OK test, since unis don't really look at them beyond the requirements. Fortunately it is a test that can be retaken (albeit costing 200 pounds so keep that in mind), but as long as you can speak english with no grammatical errors, an iGCSE style of writing is sufficient for you to get 7-8s across the board. There's a decent site called IELTSbyLiz or something that gives you a more in depth insight into the test as well as some good example Qs, so feel free to use that.

Best of luck! And please please please if you are doing the UCAT in late August or something please remember to not do too much or you burn out! Hope this helps :biggrin:

*PS if you feel like this is cluttering up your blog i can delete it if ya want me to
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Ionomer
Hai I just wanted to give a little bit of advice - I understand that it might be difficult to come across work experience, especially as an international student no less, with fewer connections in the UK, but please don't do those med courses (such as premed projects or InvestIN) unless you absolutely haven't got anything to write about, you're effectively burning 10k (if you do the residences as well I think), and wasting 2 weeks of your life where the only really proper medical "experience" being watching some surgery live on a TV screen or something. Try and get some proper medical experience at your local NHS trust (most typically do), and try to perhaps contact your sixth form GP to see if they can get you some work experience.

IELTS is a pretty OK test, since unis don't really look at them beyond the requirements. Fortunately it is a test that can be retaken (albeit costing 200 pounds so keep that in mind), but as long as you can speak english with no grammatical errors, an iGCSE style of writing is sufficient for you to get 7-8s across the board. There's a decent site called IELTSbyLiz or something that gives you a more in depth insight into the test as well as some good example Qs, so feel free to use that.

Best of luck! And please please please if you are doing the UCAT in late August or something please remember to not do too much or you burn out! Hope this helps :biggrin:

@itz_lilly^^
Thanks for the advice:biggrin:
Original post by Ionomer

*PS if you feel like this is cluttering up your blog i can delete it if ya want me to

please don't worry about cluttering up my blog, I appreciate posts like these :smile:

thank you so much for the advice! I've decided against signing up for premed projects because like you said, it would be wasting my time (and money) for something that lasts for only 5 days! so yes, I definitely won't! The problem is it's practically impossible to get work experience at a hospital where I live so I suppose the virtual work experience course from BSMS is sufficient for me at the moment. Apart from all that, I've decided to place more emphasis on super-curricular stuff and volunteering at my sibling's school.

I'm going to bookmark the website - thanks for letting me know!! and for sure! I'll try not to burn out haha T_T
Original post by itz_lilly
13/5/23 - completed IELTS prep today, must work on reading section, it's going to be the end of me lol. going to speed run through UCAT questions and then do one module of MOOC and let's see if I have enough time to watch another webinar tonight :s-smilie: good luck with your exams/schoolwork everyone!!

ahh have you started ucat prep already? i feel like i want to start but i also feel like it’s too early for me
Original post by oliviapope1
ahh have you started ucat prep already? i feel like i want to start but i also feel like it’s too early for me

I have started already just because I wanted to fill up my day lol but for sure, if you feel like it's too early for you then don't do too much just yet... maybe try a practice test from the official website and see how well you did for now!
hiya! fellow international student here, good luck to you!!! how are you prepping for the UCAT? i'm going to start after my AS exams so that'll be a bit later but just curious haha. hope your end of year exams are going well :smile:
Original post by weburnallnight
hiya! fellow international student here, good luck to you!!! how are you prepping for the UCAT? i'm going to start after my AS exams so that'll be a bit later but just curious haha. hope your end of year exams are going well :smile:

hi there thank you so much!! same to you bro we're gonna slay fr! I signed up for medify and am focusing on getting as much practice as possible + browsing through section walkthroughs on YouTube (kharmamedic is rlly great for this), I have a separate notebook for writing down some notes on questions I frequently get wrong :tongue:

good luck with your AS exams!! and thanks lol I need it biology is going to be the end of me haha T_T what unis are you planning on applying to~
update 16/05/23: created my ucas, ucat and ielts accounts, going to complete the rest of bio assignment tomorrow! edit: forgot to add some things I did on Monday - completed chem assignment and studied bio (8hrs in total), completed AR section practice as well
(edited 11 months ago)
update 16/05/23: created my ucas, ucat and ielts accounts, going to complete the rest of bio assignment tomorrow! edit: forgot to add some things I did on Monday - completed chem assignment and studied bio (8hrs in total), completed AR section practice as well

How you getting on now?
hi everyone, how are y'all doing? here's a rather late update, life's been hectic lately T-T (27.06.23): completed AR section questions and IELTS (listening) prep, going to review flashcards for psychology as I have an assignment due, create a fact sheet for physics and create flashcards for bio! may add on more tasks later in the day. Read a medical news article about the increased infection rates of Lyme disease in the US as well this morning (stay safe everyone! make sure to act quickly if you do have an infection!!)
Reply 17
hi everyone, how are y'all doing? here's a rather late update, life's been hectic lately T-T (27.06.23): completed AR section questions and IELTS (listening) prep, going to review flashcards for psychology as I have an assignment due, create a fact sheet for physics and create flashcards for bio! may add on more tasks later in the day. Read a medical news article about the increased infection rates of Lyme disease in the US as well this morning (stay safe everyone! make sure to act quickly if you do have an infection!!)

How's your UCAT prep coming along?
Original post by Ionomer
How's your UCAT prep coming along?

my scores are improving slowly but surely and I’m starting to solidify my exam technique and all that :smile: overall I’m quite happy with the progress!
Reply 19
my scores are improving slowly but surely and I’m starting to solidify my exam technique and all that :smile: overall I’m quite happy with the progress!

Glad to hear it! Hopefully your predicted exams went well and you're doing some WEx soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending