The Student Room Group

higher English

what happens if you don't finish your highers English exam. I managed to finish the RUAE paper but not my critical essay. is there still a chance of getting an A ?
Reply 1
Original post by avani_1
what happens if you don't finish your highers English exam. I managed to finish the RUAE paper but not my critical essay. is there still a chance of getting an A ?

Well done on finishing the RUAE!~ That was a fun paper.
I couldn't help chuckling to myself about how the author basically ranted about prequels that whole time.

For the Critical Essay, if you didn't finish it, the maximum number of marks you could get is 9 marks. Did you manage to finish your Scottish set text?
Reply 2
I definitely agree!!! the RUAE was very entertaining. I couldn't agree more with the content 😂. yes, I did finish the Scottish set text.
Reply 3
Original post by avani_1
I definitely agree!!! the RUAE was very entertaining. I couldn't agree more with the content 😂. yes, I did finish the Scottish set text.

The person who wrote that had definitely just watched Cruella and thought it was a waste of their time. Or maybe they're not a fan of Marvel? We'll never know for sure. ¯\_( )_/¯

Oh yay though you finished the Scottish Set Text :h:, that's good news~
The fact you're on here asking this question makes me think you're a cool person who'll get a high score in the Scottish set text~
The max mark you can get for that is (obviously) a 20.

Hypothetically, let's say someone (let's call him Bob) got idk 17 marks for poetry (GOALS, I'D BE HAPPY WITH THAT), and 9 marks for the Essay. They'd have scored 26 marks overall in Critical Reading.
Add on Bob's RUAE score. Let's say they got 26 marks (I'D BE SO HAPPY WITH THIS TBH) as well for that prequel ranting paper.
They'd now have scored 52 marks in their English exams.
Hmm... let's also say Bob happened to write an amazing portfolio earlier in the year.
Let's say it was rated a 13/15 - that would have been scaled up to a 26/30 this year. So now they're sitting on 78/100 (78%) overall which is enough for an A2 (still an A). If the grade boundaries went up, I'd wager they'd only go up by a few percent so Bob would still most likely be sitting on an A this year.

To answer your question, it's very possible that you'd still get an A in English even if you didn't finish the essay! Don't lose hope!
Does Bob's situation sound similar to yours? I feel like Bob's lucky number is 26 seeing he scored that in everything.

Anyways, you never know, maybe the SQA will be nice this year and lower those grade boundaries and we can both get our As.:smile:
Regardless, be proud of how you performed in there today. We got through it!~ We survived!
Reply 4
perhaps the writer was not a fan of Marvel because their movies aren't that bad!
you definitely sound cool too 😂
and hopefully you're right and 26 is my lucky number, but survived is definitely the right word because I hope I never have to pick up another English book again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending