The Student Room Group

Repeat Year - Tuition Fee loan

I was registered and given student funding for a 4 year BSc Mathematics which I successfully completed the foundation year and then transferred onto 1st year computer science at a different uni. However, I have failed my 1st year and need to repeat it this year again. I have not been granted a tuition fee loan and I start uni in a month. Considering I was registered onto a 4 year course, I should be able to get one extra year of funding making it 5 years total. I would really appreciate all the help I can get.
Original post by GRMRPR777
I was registered and given student funding for a 4 year BSc Mathematics which I successfully completed the foundation year and then transferred onto 1st year computer science at a different uni. However, I have failed my 1st year and need to repeat it this year again. I have not been granted a tuition fee loan and I start uni in a month. Considering I was registered onto a 4 year course, I should be able to get one extra year of funding making it 5 years total. I would really appreciate all the help I can get.

Hi there,

How long is your new course?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

How long is your new course?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi. It's 3 years.
Hi. It's 3 years.

Hi there, The way we calculate eligibility for funding is as follows:
Course length (3 years) plus 1 additional year = 4 years of funding - any previous years of study/funding (2 years) - remaining entitlement would be 2 years only which would be applied to years 2 and 3 of your course. This is why no Tuition Fee has been awarded. Was there any specific reason that you failed the first year? Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, The way we calculate eligibility for funding is as follows:
Course length (3 years) plus 1 additional year = 4 years of funding - any previous years of study/funding (2 years) - remaining entitlement would be 2 years only which would be applied to years 2 and 3 of your course. This is why no Tuition Fee has been awarded. Was there any specific reason that you failed the first year? Thanks, Angela

Yeah there were some personal problems at home due to which i failed some modules which the uni knows about.
Hi. It's 3 years.

Hi there, Are you having to repeat the year due to some Compelling Personal Reasons? Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Are you having to repeat the year due to some Compelling Personal Reasons? Thanks, Angela

Yes.
Yes.

Hi there, We can consider awarding an additional year of funding if evidence is provided.
Where applicable, we recommend evidence;

Is signed and dated
Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and
When this took place
We can accept photocopies of the following;

Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
Letter from HEP on headed paper
Letter from Social Services on headed paper
Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
Death Certificate and/or
A Birth Certificate

Thanks, Angela