The Student Room Group

Private candidate at an independent school, can i still get a contextual offer?

I went to state school to do my alevels and live in an area of slow progression. I’ve tried to check my eligibility for contextual and I do for the unis i want to go. But to be safe i want to resist chemistry so i can meet the entry requirements since i’m on a gap year. However resitting will mean i have to do it at an independent school but only as a private candidate not an internal student would i still be eligible for contextual?
Reply 1
Original post by Lime248
I went to state school to do my alevels and live in an area of slow progression. I’ve tried to check my eligibility for contextual and I do for the unis i want to go. But to be safe i want to resist chemistry so i can meet the entry requirements since i’m on a gap year. However resitting will mean i have to do it at an independent school but only as a private candidate not an internal student would i still be eligible for contextual?

If you were eligible for a contextual offer before, you should probably still be eligible. If you want to be sure, you could email the unis you are applying to, explain your situation and ask them if you would indeed be eligible.
Reply 2
Original post by SirSarlacc
If you were eligible for a contextual offer before, you should probably still be eligible. If you want to be sure, you could email the unis you are applying to, explain your situation and ask them if you would indeed be eligible.

I didnt apply for uni last year because I knew I was gonna take a gap year. Im one grade off their standard requirements is it worth resitting. I can barely find anything about gap year students who got contextual offers, its painful
Reply 3
Original post by Lime248

I didnt apply for uni last year because I knew I was gonna take a gap year. Im one grade off their standard requirements is it worth resitting. I can barely find anything about gap year students who got contextual offers, its painful

Contextual offers apply to everyone who is eligible: it doesn't matter if you're starting uni straight after college, if you've taken a gap year or are applying 5 years after college. If you are eligible for a contextual offer and have achieved grades above the contextual entry requirements, you should get a contextual offer.

If you want to resit Chemistry, you can do. However, if you already qualify for a contextual offer then is it needed? Again, I think asking your unis for advice could help. Sorry if I confused you earlier oops
Reply 4
Original post by Lime248
Original post by SirSarlacc
Original post by Lime248

Contextual offers apply to everyone who is eligible: it doesn't matter if you're starting uni straight after college, if you've taken a gap year or are applying 5 years after college. If you are eligible for a contextual offer and have achieved grades above the contextual entry requirements, you should get a contextual offer.

If you want to resit Chemistry, you can do. However, if you already qualify for a contextual offer then is it needed? Again, I think asking your unis for advice could help. Sorry if I confused you earlier oops

Thank you so much for the response! but will my application look less competitive as i want to apply to ucl/kcl

Your application shouldn't be disadvantaged just because you're a contextual applicant - they will consider your background when making a decision, just as they would with a non-contextual applicant. If i'm not mistaken applying with achieved A-levels *might* make you a more appealing applicant as they won't have to worry about you not getting the grades required!! I hope i'm answering your questions here lol
Contextual conditions vary from university to university. You need to speak to yours. Nobody else can help you. Taking after 1 gap year doesnt present a problem.
Hi, I’m going through a similar situation and also applying to Ucl, I’m retaking two of my A a levels to get better grades in a exam centre with private tuition. When I first applied I was able to get contextual offer for both home address and the sixth form I went to. Were you able to email Ucl by any chance, or did you find out?
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending